1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA Tournament Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Mar 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Can someone tell me why a Greensboro gets a No. 1 team AND a No. 2 team and, thus, an 8-9 and a 7-10 there?

Why didn't every site get one No. 1 or No. 2?

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

9-to-5er here, but I'm off at 2:30 on Friday, so I'll be able to catch most of the games.

Re: tickets....back in 06, I had a couple extra Final Four tickets, but since it was held in a dome (Indy), there were plenty of seats available. I barely got face value for them. The bigger the arena, the easier it is to find tickets. It's a duh comment, but I found out the hard way.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I know I am in the minority when I say this, but I keep hearing about all of this parity and I just don't see it. I think this year, more than any I can remember, if you bet on chalk you are going to be in great shape....

Pitt, North Carolina, Louisville and the winner of Memphis/UConn, say Memphis for argument's sake.....

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Outing alert - Chef is Dick Vitale.

5. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Don't pick Syracuse to get beyond the second round. The last time it made a furious Big East run was in 2006, and it was a first-round casualty back then. The Orange's seven-man rotation is gassed right now, and not even two days off will help.

6. zagoshe

Did all of these people picking Tennessee to make some kind of a run -- did they watch the Vols at all this year?

Yes, I know they have some talented players, but every time I have watched them the only thing they seemed to do well is self destruct.

7. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Louisville, Memphis, Villanova, UNC.

UNC over Louisville in the finals.

Meaningless and uninformed predictions:

- Purdue will beat UConn.
    - I won't be surprised if WVU, assuming they get past Dayton, beats Kansas and gives whoever knocks off Sparty a game in the Sweet 16.
    - The Big East fan in me wants to see Pitt in the Final Four. The realist in me thinks something -- FT shooting, Blair getting into foul trouble, a pregame pep talk from Wlat, etc. -- will prevent it from happening.

8. zagoshe

Wouldn't Wlat be more inclined to give a pregame pep talk to Akron?

9. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

What uniform do those predictions wear?

10. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

The pod system.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Because there is a little-known clause in the NCAA selection process that mandates Duke and the Tar Heels never have to play out side of North Carolina in the first round.

12. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Duke is a #2. They get the benefit of a close arena.

The state of North Carolina gets to host tournament games a lot because of the abundance of high-quality and/or big-ass basketball arenas. Greensboro Coliseum is one of the biggest basketball gyms in the world. Makes sense the NCAA would be all up in that. The RBC Center is sparkly and has lots of luxury boxes. Makes sense the NCAA would be all up in that.

To contrast: Here in Georgia, we have the Georgia Dome. And...that's it. Philips Arena, I guess, but seeing how it's right next door to an building that can seat 40K+ for basketball, it's redundant.

Yes, ticket sales from the usual two suspects is a consideration. But it's not the only one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.