1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA tournament phrases that should be banned

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Mar 12, 2007.

1. m2spts

m2spts Member

It is so nice to see people who agree with me.
    It's not a tourney.
    It's not a dance.
    There is glass slipper.
    There is no Cinderella or Cinderfella.
    If I was reading copy, none of that would get through.

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

The way this tournament is going so far, there will be no reason to mention glass slippers or Cinderellas.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

For night games: triple overtime.

4. Editude

Editude Active Member

Butler does it.
    I talked to Coach X and Coach Y before the game.

5. Maybe this isn't the right place to put this, but I can't stand writers who use NCAA Tournament slang in other sports stories.

I was reading a story about the state high school girls' basketball tournament, and the dipshit wrote about how everyone had to tear up his/her brackets in the office pool because there had been so many upsets. I mean, WTF?

Maybe I haven't lived in the right places, but I have never heard of an office pool for the state high school girls' basketball tournament. Beyond that, it's just lazy and stupid.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Big Dance or any other "dance" phrase. No one is dancing.

Bracketville. I still see that now and then from that old ESPN commercial and I still cringe every time.

7. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Mike & Mike get me to school every day.

I think "bracket of integrity" is a fascinating phrase.

If you fill out muletiple brackets, do *you* always use the same picks?

8. grrlhack

grrlhack Member

M_W....Score the ball is still a dumbass phrase. One I've heard way too much in the last two months and fortunately won't be hearing again til next October. I don't care what the coach is trying to say. And the one I hear it from has nobody to "score the ball" anyway. Maybe he should sign some shooters who simply score.

9. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I know because I\'ve heard it hundreds of times on Mike and Mike: the phrase they use is \"sheet of integrity.\"

10. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Ditch "Final Four"

11. Runaway Jim

Runaway Jim Member

Not that I don't agree with all the anti-"Big Dance" sentiment, but what would all you Tolstoys suggest we call it? Christ, some people don't even like "tourney."

If we just go with "NCAA Tournament" over and over, doesn't that get repetitive? Should I be referring to it as "that basketball thing that happens in March with all the college teams in it?"

12. Editude

Editude Active Member

But how many times in one story does the event need to be named? Yes, it could appear in several places, each day, but I would hope it would not be mentioned several times in each 15'' preview/gamer/column.

Draft saved Draft deleted