1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA tournament phrases that should be banned

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Mar 12, 2007.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

The term "student-athlete" only gets by me in copy if it's in a quote or the name of an award.

2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Can we get rid of "One Shining Moment" while we're at it?

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fuggemall. Goddamn it. :mad: :mad: :mad:

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I'd rather have "March Madness" or "Big Dance" or whatever rather than the word "tournament" 71 times in a story.

Maybe that's just me trying not to be boring.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I really have no problem with March Madness...it's a copyrighted description of the tournament and all that it encompasses.

I'm with everybody on Cinderella, though.

6. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I also don't like references to "the NCAAs", not to be confused with the NITs.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If you are writing a story in which the "tournament" (or dance or madness) is referred to 71 times . . . you're too late. It will be boring.

And all the synonyms in the world won't change that.

8. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

And now the NFL is trying to patent the phrase "The Big Game," so when people talk on the air about the Super Bowl but can't say Super Bowl they will not be able to say "The Big Game" either. What's next? Trying to patent, "This Sunday's Game"

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They're doing that because across the country, every tom-dick-and-harry party store and appliance store and sports bar, you name it, they want to run some kind of sale, giveaway or promotion centering on The Super Bowl(TM), but they can't say "The Super Bowl(TM)" unless they pay a licensing fee to the NFL, so instead they say for "The Big Game," so now the NFL wants a fee for that too.

10. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I second this motion. God damn NCAA.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Fuck the NFL. The only thing the NFL has cornered the market on is giving thug criminal players free passes.

As for sports in general, how about we stop rferring to the commentators as "on-air talent," since most of them have none.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Bracketologists. Kill that word forever, and salt the soil beneath which it is buried, similar to what was done to Carthage. "Educated guessers with a platform" is the more accurate description.

Draft saved Draft deleted