1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA tournament phrases that should be banned

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Mar 12, 2007.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Maybe this is a short list, but I'm sick of "March Madness" and "The Big Dance" or various other phrases that include the word dance.

Oh, and in the "Mike and Mike" category: "sheet of integrity."

If we added a Dickie V category, this thread will go pages and pages.

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I agree. No words other than tournament or tourney should be used. None.

3. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

Actually, the correct title is the NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Championship.

The NCAA doesn't use the word tourney.

4. Bracket Buster. With all the upsets that we have had in recent years and the so-called surprises, is there really such thing as a bracket buster?
    also, all the crap about who is going to be the next george mason. give me a break. on any given night, florida, unc, kansas, ohio state and the fifth number one seed--ucla--can all fall.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Ban this bitch, and I will gladly put up with anything else.

[​IMG]

6. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

I'm sick of people saying they are sick of certain college basketball tournament cliches. We know this already.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And now let's go out to Jim Nantz and Billy Packer...

8. CapeCodder

CapeCodder Member

As a sports editor, I have made an agreement with my staff that the words "Big Dance" will not appear in our paper for the next three weeks.

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

bracketology.

A word only a douchebag could love.

10. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

That word is useless now, but readers sure do love that stuff during February and early March. You might not need to use that word, but your readers (that is, the ones following decent programs) want to know about the speculation.

to think otherwise because it bugs you personally as a journalist is a little shortsighted.

I'd have no problem with a writer using occasional bracket projection tidbits in notebooks or advance articles.

I'll agree "March Madness" and "Big Dance" are considerably overused -- especially in headlines.

11. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

You appear to have inferred that I was saying that the NCAA tournament was the official name. I was not. But that's the obvious common usage because the official name is clunky.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Student-athlete

Draft saved Draft deleted