1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA Tournament and the Media

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GRUDGE, Mar 31, 2014.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Well ...

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I don't want to hear a social critique from somebody who helped deify a football coach.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The problem is, in this thread and others, I see no chorus that you're describing. If you're speaking of me the first I write the words "sock puppet" will be, well, just then.

I doubt there's a statute of limitations on inane things.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's not glee. If there's any emotion to assign to my comments, it's a mix of surprise and pity that some folks in the business are unable or unwilling to recognize this.

It's simply truth telling, and that should never upset a journalist.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Pretty much. If that becomes the case, you'll see even fewer media at events than you do now.

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Happened to me too at the Division III national men's basketball Final Four in 2008. Inside I'm like "You're F****** kidding me" but outside it's like "okay", then just go put my drink in a Dasani cup.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Of course the cup policy is dumb, but it's not the end of civilization. Show me another sports entity that doesn't protect its corporate partners. I was embarrassed for SI when they devoted a few inches about it in the mag last week. Is this their first year covering the event?

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That one might be #1 on the list of funny things I tell non-journos that make them say "Really? No shit?"

As passe as it is for us, barely anyone outside of us knows of the policy.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

People don't follow your links, Ralph. You want to make a point, don't be sketchy.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Not only are big-wheel alumni (who would like to buy the seats) and money-counting ADs (who see each seat generating tens of thousands of dollars per season) not WORRIED about such an outcome, many would actively welcome it.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Prove this.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think he's just saying that they would not WELCOME zero coverage from the locals.

Draft saved Draft deleted