1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA to Tressel: YOU LIED TO US!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Or a Phil Fulmer feel.

He got the job after an interim stint when Johnny Majors was out with health problems.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

One of the talk radio guys (HI TY!) raised a good point today. Meyer is the one you talk to, but does OSU go after him, knowing his penchant for recruiting players who seem to find their way into the police blotter? If OSU needs an image overhaul as much as a coach to win (and beat Michigan, but not in that order), do they hire a guy who has Fulmer Cup wins on his permanent record?

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Because you can't get enough of those wacky Buckeyes breaking the rules allegedly...

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2011/05/07/osu-to-investigate-players-car-deals.html?sid=101

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It tickles me that Buckeye Extra is presented by Audi.

5. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Hey, but the compliance officials cleared every sale -- even for folks who came from out of state just to shop for cars in C-Bus -- so all is well.

Christ that place is a sewer.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Has anyone bothered to look back to anything else since it was that Maurice Clarett was breaking rules? Did it take this long for Ohio State/Jim Tressel to get sloppy in covering up its tracks?

7. Hate-Miser2

Hate-Miser2 Member

The story said that the dealers always contacted the compliance people at OSU when an athlete bought a vehicle from them. All (or at least most) of these athletes seemingly bought vehicles from this same salesman, working for 2 different dealers. And this same salesman was regularly on players' pass lists, including for bowl and national championship games. The sales invoice on one of the vehicles read the sales price was $0, and these dealers feature lots of autographed OSU memorabilia in their showrooms.

Are those dots (that there is a problem or potential problem) really that hard for the compliance officer to connect? Isn't that his job?

If the Columbus Dispatch can get that information that shows what a huge problem this is, and the OSU compliance department either can't or chooses not to get that information, that's the definition of "lack of institutional control" in my book.

If I'm the Dispatch, I recruit a 20-year-old kid (or however old Pryor was at the time) to go into that same dealer and ask to take a vehicle he obviously cannot afford for a 3-day test drive for a 500-mile (or whatever distance it was) "test drive". If they let him take it, then fine. If not, then obviously the Pryor "test drive" is a violation.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The OSU Compliance Department:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Does anybody else keep picturing this guy when reading this thread title?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

At some point...soon.... don't they just HAVE to cut Tressel lose? Even as an unapologetic fanboi, I KNOW this sort of crap is just going to keep surfacing, until that day. They (Smith, Gee, etc.) MUST understand this....don' they? Yes, these are rhetorical questions.....but the boat is taking on water faster than they can POSSIBLY bail here.

WTF? Is it simply an astounding level of hubris? Do they sincerely think they can dodge this mess?? Fear for their own jobs? Fear of Tressel?? Seriously, folks.....I just don't get it.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Apparently, Tressel's not the only one lying.

The future coach of the Ohio State isn't scoring points with his daughter for spending so much time at ESPN. She tweets that she wants ESPN to give her dad back.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Urban-Meyer-s-daughter-has-issues-with-his-new-j?urn=ncaaf-wp1302

I just wish the slimeball would come clean and tell the truth about his intentions rather than crawl behind the veil of 'spend more time with family', when that's clearly not true and not the intent, barely months after he utters it.

Well, he'll fit right in at OSU when he does eventually come on board.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The longer this goes on the easier it becomes to believe that Tressel is falling on his sword to protect somebody farther up the food chain. The trade off is that he gets to coach this season then walk away on his own terms.

It's becoming more and more evident that this is an institutional issue that isn't confined to the football program or Jim Tressel and has been going on for years.

Some of it is just poor oversight of what kids are doing off campus (trading memorabilia for tattoos). And some of it appears to be looking the other way when an issue is right under your nose (possible sweetheart car deals).

Frankly, the tattoo parlor issue isn't that big a deal in the grand scheme of things. As is usually the case, it's not the crime, it's the cover-up.

The car dealer thing IS a big deal in the NCAA world because the guy is essentially a booster. My guess is they get hammered harder for that than the tattoo thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted