1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA to Tressel: YOU LIED TO US!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think Meyer will want to see what the penalties are before he decides to come back. I think if it's not as bad as USC, Meyer will be in the mix to come in and be the savior.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Would love to see Pryor in Meyers Spread O

3. Mizzougrad96

I think OSU will do everything it can not to fire him before this season, but there's no way in hell he's back in 2012.

I guess if it gets really bad, they could have an interim coach this season, but I don't think anyone there wants that to happen and there's almost no way they can hire a decent coach at this point.

4. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Two things.

Tress knew if he would have dealt with it up front several key players, kids who could have turned pro after 2010, likely would have been suspended for several games last season.

Well there goes that second national title. He didn't want to risk it so he tried to bury it and hope that no one noticed.

That leads me to item No. 2. This guy had issues at Youngstown with his QB and had Mo Clarett and to a lesser extent Troy Smith at OSU in the previous decade.

Each time he pleaded ignorance.

He tried that in this latest case but thanks to the electronic trail we know he was LYING his ass off.

That leads me to believe he was lying in the other cases as well.

Talk all you want about the players' offenses not being a big deal but there is a pattern at work with Tressel and OSU.

5. Mizzougrad96

The other reason why OSU really can't afford to fire him before this season is most of Tressel's staff has been there the entire time he's been in Columbus and there's really no one who would seem to be an obvious choice as an interim coach. They're all tied so closely with him.

6. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

If the NCAA doesn't ban him for the season, Dez Bryant should sue the NCAA for lost income based upon his big drop in last year's draft.

And we know Dez needs the cash.

7. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

I probably didn't express myself all that well, if it seems like I'm making any excuses for, or somehow trying to justify Tressel's actions / response. I'm not. He lied his *ss off in this case & in hindsight, probably the Clarett & Smith cases (I admit, I'd given him the benefit of the doubt).

Not quite as willing to call it an OSU "pattern", though. No question, they have their issues. If you look at ANY of the top programs, you can find "patterns." Drunk driving at Notre Dame.....fighting & theft issues at Iowa....pot busts at Florida.....beatin' up students at Michigan State....on & on.

I guess I'll just never stop being amazed at how OSU "allowed" something so (again...relative...in the bigger picture of college football misdeeds) minor, to become....well, THIS. They didn't even score any Fulmer Cup points!!!

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

After all, he's got ... teammates to feed.

9. Mizzougrad96

OSU needs to stop with the minor infractions and start paying its Quarterbacks the going rate, which is pretty clearly $200K a year, and the NCAA will only suspend said player for 24 hours.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Actually, they already have an interim head coach.

Luke Fickell has been promoted to assistant head coach and will be the head coach for the games Tressel will be sitting out to start the season so they could very easily go the interim route.

As it stands now, I think Tressel will coach this season then leave. Urban Meyer is absolutely the first call OSU should make, however if it looks like they're going to get drilled by the NCAA Fickell will probably get the job full time as Meyer probably wouldn't touch it.

Meyer also won't take it if Tressel gets fired before the season starts and they'd be forced to go with Fickell anyway.

Fickell is an OSU alum and would probably be willing to take one for the team to coach his alma mater regardless of the situation.

11. Mizzougrad96

Good info... I did not know that.

12. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Fickell is a young guy with a (seemingly) pretty bright future. Lots of TOSU fans have thought he'd be the eventual heir to Tressel. Of course, that was under the assumption that Tress would groom him for a few more years. Excellent recruiter, has done a nice job (in conjunction w/ Jim Heacock) with the D.

Has been mentioned as a leading (if not the leading) candidate for most of the MAC head jobs over the last few years. Came very close to taking a job w/ ND, when Kelly came in a year ago. However, TOSU has continued to promote him (pay him) to keep him at "home."

The long time staff...along with having Fickell in place...is what leads me to think they won't be in any big hurry to cut Tressel loose, at this point in time. They'll ride this season out, no matter what.

Having said that, I it would be awfully tough to promote Fickell to the job in '12. No real (interim tag aside) head coaching experience, the leftover "stain" of the Tressel mess. Has a bit of a Bob Davie feel to it.

Draft saved Draft deleted