1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA to Tressel: YOU LIED TO US!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Those players should have been suspended at the beginning of last season and Tressel been up front from the beginning. That is what should have happened.

As for if he goes, as someone said already, he has lost his own fanbase. The Ohio State fans realize he has cost them part of their illustrious reputation and keeping him will destroy it all. Plus keeping him will likely bring heavier sanctions as the NCAA tends to make things personal and keeping a coach who crossed the line as far as Tressel did will piss them off.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

He may not have a choice. I can honestly see Buck U. dumping him if there is even a hint of another allegation between now and then.

3. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

As the son & grandson of alums (as well as being a pathetic fanboi myself), I can confirm he's lost most of the fan base. Months ago, in fact. I'm not talking about the message board crazies, who will support any & all things TOSU, no matter what.....but the core, donation makin' base. They are just plain embarrassed.

The violations were bad enough. Having said that, though, it just wasn't THAT big of a deal. It's the kind of goofy sh*t that happens, in any major program. Not saying I "approve of" it (I don't...not even close)....but it comes with the territory. Always has, always will. As stated above, though, it simply could have been dealt with & it SHOULD be in the rear view.

My gut says, he doesn't survive this. Just can't see it. My belief (for whatever it's worth) is that they're trying to figure out a way to ride out this season, with or without him, and have his replacement in place for the '12 season. Lots of Urban Meyer talk amongst the crazies.....but not sure I buy it.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Don't see how it is possible for Tressel to stay. If I were Ohio State I would do every thing possible to bring in Urban Meyer ASAP

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I doubt Meyer would get back into coaching this fast.

What I think may happen though is they cling to Tressell as long as they can, before he's eventually put aside somehow. They'll go with an interim guy, perhaps even for the whole season. After a year off Meyer is ready to go again, and Ohio State is welcoming their prodigal son.

6. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Just don't see Meyer doing it. 1) Ohio State could very well, especially in these circumstances, being a more stressful job. 2) Meyer probably doesn't like what he saw in terms of Rich Rod trying to bring in a rushing QB system. Their systems are different but its a system that has never really worked in the Big Ten for whatever reason. Pryor would be gone and there would be no rushing QB. That means he would have to recruit to get his QB and then wait for him to get to campus.

7. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Actually, the top rated (for that's worth) "dual threat" HS QB from last year, early enrolled in C-bus in January (Braxton Miller). Kinda seems like Pryor with out baggage. Pretty much your prototype Meyer QB.

Having said that, even with Meyer being an "Ohio kid", I just don't think the timing will work out. Like I said, I believe they'll ride out this season with Fickell as the interim....possibly for the entire season. Even if Tressell goes, I can't fathom they would hire a new coach before the '11 season.

If they're in the market for a coach after '11, I suspect that one year off won't be enough for Meyer. He would be a much more likely candidate in a scenario where Tressell retires, a few years down the road.

8. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Let's be frank about Bruce Pearl. If the Vols don't completely tank from like January on, he's still coaching in Knoxville.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It's not the crime. It's the cover-up.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Well, without the crimes, there is no cover-up. So it's the crimes, too.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Still waiting for Feds to step in and suggest that Tressel interfered with a Federal investigation.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That would be awesome.

Draft saved Draft deleted