1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA to put limits on blogs from tournaments

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rockbottom, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Totally unenforceable...therefore flawed. From a piece I wrote ("Throw that Blogger From the PressBox"):

Then we have to deal with the reality of today. People are taking their pictures and posting them on Flickr and other photo sharing sites. People are shooting their own video and posting it to YouTube. People are recording podcasts and posting them online. People are blogging about the games in progress. Are these people sitting in the press boxes? No, they are sitting in the stands. They are sitting outside of the stadium, in a bar, or in their homes using the technology in their hands. In one sense, the intellectual property control genie is out of the bottle.

What the owners of this intellectual property (and please, no jokes or cracks about sports not being an intellectual pursuit) have to realize is that the live blogging of a game from the press box is not a liability. First, a reporter or blogger cannot type and post fast enough to keep up with video or audio broadcasts of the events. Second, the number of eyeballs being drawn by reporters such as Bennett are probably minimal compared to those watching or listening to a broadcast of an event. Third, unless fans are prohibited from bringing cameras, cellphones or other electronic devices into the games, there is only the illusion of control.

From this writer's perspective, I would rather see the NCAA and universities take this approach rather than getting in bed with organizations such as cbs.sportsline.com, which is more about gambling than sports. Don't believe me? Just go look at discussion fora on that site, and it is all about betting lines. Didn't Jimmy "The Greek" Snyder get fired from CBS Sports because he gave betting lines on the air? From this view, it seems that the NCAA would rather support betting on their sports rather than opening up the ways sports are covered. Hmmm, which would be better for everyone on the long run?

2. BLOGGERS!!!

::)

3. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

The Greek got fired because of insensitive racially charged comments made during an interview he conducted in a restaurant. His JOB on CBS was to deal with point spreads.

4. I seem to recall that the underlying reason for his termination is they wanted to get away from the spreads on the air because of pressure from the NFL. But a reason was needed to fore him.

Either way, Sportsline is ALL about gambling in the public fora, but that is OK with the NCAA?

5. Sly

Sly Active Member

So let me get this straight: You guys are all mad because the NCAA is doing you a favor and limiting the amount of blogs you write, which most people here have complained are "a way for our papers to make us work for free."

I don't follow.

6. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

For some of us, being able to cover events means we have to do the job(s) of two or three people anyway. More bang for the (travel) buck, doncha know. Blogs are a giant pain in the ass but they're a reality of the new media age.

And, to paraphrase a quote from the Magnificent Seven: "Nobody gives me my press pass and tells me how much I can or can't work.''

7. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

You've gone way off topic, but ... the NCAA and/or SportsLine (now CBSSports.com) have to control what the public writes in forums? Interesting.

Back on point: Not all bloggers at games write stories for the paper (but still work for that organization). For some people, that is part of their job.

8. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Amen to what lantaur said. Even at what many of you would call a small paper, my shop staffs U. of Podunk big events with a person just to blog. And we get GREAT response on our site to it. People read it, and thus interact with us and each other while the game is going on.

rb

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I love the unintentional comedy of it all. To have it so friggin' detailed to say 10 blogs per day for rifle is classic.

On fieldandstream-SportsJournalists.com they're probably going completely apeshit.

Draft saved Draft deleted