1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA to put limits on blogs from tournaments

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rockbottom, Dec 20, 2007.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Personally I can't wait for the water polo BLOGS!!!

2. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Most big-time football and basketball programs break NCAA rules all the time without being punished. I say we break the rules.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Since most live blogs don't tell you anything you can't find out by watching the game on TV, it doesn't matter if they are done with the NCAA's permission or not. If you are limited to X amount of times of blogging if you blog from press row, go somewhere other than press row and blog.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

What all the media at the Superdome should do is have prearranged times to send a blog post. Make sure its four per quarter. What's the NCAA going to do, boot out the entire media?

Bloggers could also get around this merely by e-mailing their blog entries to their newspapers (or other organizations). Have an employee at the paper post the entry. (of course, this is assuming there is someone available at the paper to do this, but I digress...)
    What's the NCAA going to do, tell a newspaper not to publish the entries?
    The paper can say that they have someone watching the game on TV and blogging.

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

It sucks, yes, but at least it's out there now, which does two things: 1) allows us to now know what we're up against so we can fight it, and 2) prevents ambush situations like the guy at the baseball super regional who had to cover the even from a bar across the street.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

The BCS championship game is not under the NCAA championship auspices, as someone said earlier. This won't have any effect upon the LSU-Ohio State game.

7. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

OK, anyone want to take odds on if and when a fight occurs over this? You know come March or down the road in Omaha, some dork is going to go Billy Badass on a reporter and threaten to have him removed for blogging...

8. OrangeGrad

OrangeGrad Member

Oh man, I'm going to get thrown into the NCAA pokey. I broke the law during the first round of the women's soccer tournament. My wife and I better pack up and move to another country, or else Badass Brand is going to come get me.

9. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

OK, I can understand the NFL limiting access (I don't like it, but I get it - they want to drive their own online site).

But what exactly is the NCAA's purpose here? I mean, really, no audio from these events can last past 72 hours? Is the NCAA that full of itself? (rhetorical)

Also, I'm wondering since many universities are public (i.e. state) institutions, if there would be some fight as to those schools limiting access. I have no idea, just throwing it out there.

Oh, and f*ck the NCAA.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

"I'm sorry, but you've blogged five times during the fourth quarter of this Division III opening-round game. I need to revoke your credential."

11. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

The wording includes "in-Competition updates on score and time remaining in competition as well as description of the championship and competition taken place during the given time."

Does that mean during the basketball tournament in spring, if ESPN or Fox updates a game with a quick highlight, score and time remaining, it must adhere to the "link and logo" requirement?

I doubt it, but there is no specific wording otherwise in this blog decree.

Legitimate news-gathering organizations who do the right thing are being tooled, while some schlub in his Dorito-coated boxers watching a second-round basketball game can blog his balls off without recourse. Unless the NCAA wants to go after every Simmons-wannabe.

Fucking idiots. No wonder people hate the NCAA.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That's true. But knowing the NCAA, they'll try to find a way to push their rules anyway.

What about all the sites, like Yahoo and ESPN, that provide running updates after every play. If there are 25 plays in a quarter, does that count as 25 postings?

Draft saved Draft deleted