1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA Team of the decade?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ilmago, Jan 21, 2010.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I'd take the '02 Canes over the '01 Canes.

2. ralph russo

ralph russo Member

You might very well be right. Think about what it took for Ohio State to beat that Miami team. Canes had 5 turnovers, including on of the great plays I have ever seen when Clarett swiped that ball from Sean Taylor. One of the best running backs in the country tore up his knee just when he was taking over the game. And, of course, one really, really sketchy pass interference call. And still, an Ohio State team that, oh by the way, turned out about a dozen NFL guys, needed OT to win by a touchdown.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I'll start by saying that it's dangerous to rank how "good" a college team is simply based on the NFL talent on its roster.

Miami 2001 was dynamite no doubt, but played in a pretty weak conference (10-win Syracuse was the only team with more than 8 wins they beat before Nebraska, which many believed didn't even deserve to be in the championship game).

I'll give the edge to 2005 Texas, which only won three games by less than 20 points --- at a 10-win Ohio State team, at its arch-rival (Texas A&M) and in the championship game against the team many had anointed as the "greatest of all time" going in and that was more-or-less playing at home.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

The '05 Texas team was stocked full of athletes. They would've beaten '09 Texas by three touchdowns.

Hell, they won the Big 12 title game by 67 points.

I think you've definitely got the right teams in the top three. And I wonder if '02 Miami and '05 USC are next in line even though they didn't win the title.

Draft saved Draft deleted