1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA talking about creating a new division

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by D-3 Fan, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

How dare you suggest the NCAA is tainted by money.

These are amateurs playing sports in their most pure form.

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Fixed.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Isn't the NAIA essentially Division IV?

4. D-3 Fan

They're the NCAA's illegitimate bastard child. They operate under a different set of rules and organization.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I thought there was some kind of separation, but I wasn't sure. Thanks for the info D-3 Fan.

Where would you place the level of competition in NAIA compared to the NCAA divisions?

6. From my own personal perspective, many NAIA schools would beat up on NCAA Division III schools.

As a previous poster mentioned, the NAIA has different rules than the NCAA in regards to some eligibility matters, including amateur status and academics. So the NAIA often times becomes a route for, shall we say, academically-challenged athletes who are good enough to play at a higher NCAA level.

7. D-3 Fan

To add, if I'm not mistaken, some NAIA schools can offer scholarships, no?

I know that the Wisconsin schools (LaCrosse, Whitewater, Platteville, etc) can offer athletic scholarships because they are state schools, which makes them unique because they are D-III.

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Correct, they can all offer scholarships. Excruciating detail on limits to follow:

Baseball - 12
    Basketball (Division I) - 11
    Basketball (Division II) - 6
    Cross country only - 5
    Football - 24
    Golf - 5
    Soccer - 12
    Softball - 10
    Swimming and diving - 8
    Tennis - 5
    Track and field (no XC) - 12
    Track and field/XC combined - 17
    Volleyball - 8
    Wrestling - 8

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Frankly, most of the Wisconsin schools should be Division II. Enrollment-wise, some should even be Division I. There's several over 10,000 enrollment. Including the fighting UW-Eau Claire Blugolds.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Back in the day (the mid-80s), the NAIA was probably on par with D-II — going from one to the other was considered a lateral move.

But in the late 80s, most of the football-playing schools jumped ship for the more prestigious NCAA. The Oklahoma and Arkansas schools were among the last holdouts — they got sick of playing each other for the NAIA national championship and finally bailed sometime in the early 90s.

The creation of a D-IV would probably kill the NAIA once and for all. If the NAIA doesn't voluntarily merge, which is always a possibility.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Actually Flasher, as of next season Canadian schools can compete in the NCAA but they have to do so at the Division II level.

And to whoever mentioned the Wisconsin schools, they do not offer athletic scholarships at the Division III level.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'll bet this new division gets a football playoff...

Draft saved Draft deleted