1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA revenue rankings

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, May 9, 2013.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

This is a tough one for me. Who's more evil: Gannett or the NCAA?

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Gannett - Relies on employees wanting to get to the next level to put up with low wages "for now."
    NCAA - Ditto
    Gannett - Turns a profit, paying top level people handsomely while crying poor to their front-line workers.
    NCAA - Ditto
    Gannett - Seems to have a mandate and rule for every situation.
    NCAA - Ditto
    Gannett - Spent millions on museum as a tribute to its ego.
    NCAA - Ditto

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

If you are a Division III, Division II or Division I athlete in any sport other than football or men's basketball - and that's about 98 percent of NCAA athletes - the NCAA is a wonderful thing because it completely subsidizes my sports championships, which very few people care about.

And if you are a Division I FB or MBB player with realistic professional aspirations, any time spent as an NCAA athlete is far superior to three years in minor-league baseball or junior hockey, the option for athletes in other sports with professional hopes.

4. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Maybe. Since Duke probably brings in $17.24/year from football, I wouldn't lump them with ND and USC.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

NCAA- Provides a pathway - in some cases at no cost - to college education for those who otherwise might not have the opportunity
    Gannett- Uh....

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

What is remarkible to me is the amount of money that schools outside of the B10, B12, SEC, ACC and Pac 12 are spening to subsidize athletics. There are many school with 25M+ budgets that are subsidizing more than 15M a year.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

NCAA: "Student-Athletes"
    Gannett: "Real Life, Real News"

NCAA useless leader: Mark Emmert
    Gannett useless leader: Craig Dubow

NCAA embarrassing scandal: Miami investigation
    Gannett embarrassing scandal: Chiquita Banana

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]