1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA revenue rankings

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, May 9, 2013.

1. Interesting...
    USA Today ranks the NCAA schools who brought in the highest revenues for the 2011-12 season. Texas topped the list with over $163 million, followed by Ohio State, Michigan, Alabama & Florida.

Of the Top 40 schools, WVU and Kansas spent more than it took in.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/schools/finances/

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

List does not seem to include private schools like Duke, ND and USC.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I haven't looked at it yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was only for public schools.

4. Mizzougrad96

I'm guessing they asked the private schools to give up the information and some did and some didn't.

No Duke, no Stanford, no Notre Dame, no USC, no Northwestern, no Vanderbilt...

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Actually there's none that I see. List appears to be solely public schools, which obviously makes it highly incomplete.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The endowments at Stanford, Duke and Northwestern (I suspect the others, too), would allow them to purchase the 49ers if they REALLY wanted to win. Their balance sheet statements are not a reflection of their actual financial situation.

7. Mizzougrad96

I don't know how you put out a list like that without explaining the omission of those schools.

No Miami, no Syracuse, no Marquette, no DePaul, no BYU...

Epic fail for USA Today for failing to point out the schools that didn't participate.

I don't blame them for not having the information. Private schools don't have to release that kind of information, so why would they?

But you can't put out a list like that without explaining why at least 3-4 schools that I would assume to be in the top 20 (Stanford, ND, Duke, Miami...)

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

All they had to do was state that this was a list of public schools only. How hard was that? Too hard, apparently.

9. Boom_70

Agree.

Fail by Evil also for bringing it to the board without proper qualifications. ;)

BC also missing and pretty much every school in the new Big East.

10. I'll be in Shame Closet until further notice.

11. Mizzougrad96

Say hi to the USA Today editors... :D

12. Boom_70

You need to read a weeks worth of USA Today's while you're in there.

Draft saved Draft deleted