1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA Recruiting - unlimited calls and texts

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chris17, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Chris17

Chris17 Member

Not to take up too much time (though I do think this is a somewhat groundbreaking move in the world of NCAA regulations.....)

Saw this wire report this morning.

"Men's basketball coaches are on the verge of being allowed to send unlimited texts and make unlimited calls to recruits who have finished their sophomore year of high school. As of Friday, the NCAA will also allow coaches to send private messages through social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter. The NCAA is allowing coaches to text, tweet and talk to their hearts' content because, as Missouri athletic director Mike Alden put it, the organization "recognized the evolving nature of communication with students.""

Anyway, there could be long discussions about this, including discussions about the threat of over-contact, yada yada. Those of us who follow the recruiting game closely, this is actually a pretty big shift. One of the things I'm constantly hearing from HS aged players is the "we have to contact them" approach. This will change things greatly.

BUT - I do have one quick question for the crowd, if anyone knows. I'm spent a lot of time (oddly) dealing with soccer commitments too. Does anyone know if this applies to other sports? Or just basketball? Obviously people follow BBall and Football the most, but does this apply across the board? Anyone know?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I can't wait to hear about the players with the $400 phone bill as a result.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

The NCAA says unlimited now, but wait until it pulls a bait-and-switch and makes coaches choose from one of its tiered plans.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I've got mixed feelings about this. Obviously it could get really tiresome for kids to have their phone going off constantly.

But back when the lacrosse murder happened at UVa and people were talking about what responsibility the coaches have I thought Pete Gillen made an interesting point. He said the NCAA keeps putting more limits on how much time you can spend talking to a kid when you are recruiting them, but then people want the coaches to know everything about their lives once they get to campus.

5. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I enjoyed this very much.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think they should make the rule that they can't call or text them. If they want to talk to them, they have to go there in person.

Then there's less of this:

I was just thinking of how great you're going to look in an Alabama/Florida/Michigan/Ohio State/USC uniform next season. We will be so excited to have you on campus.

Send to 1,700 recipients.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Special rate if you use the NCAA corporate sponsor's services?

Draft saved Draft deleted