1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA press credentials and and "substantial" coverage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TopOfTheCircle, May 19, 2007.

1. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I just found my first two people to ignore. You bastards!

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Are you the guy I used to rag on for loving lacrosse? Some poor dude who covered it in college was foaming at the mouth about how great it is and I just made fun of him incessantly.

It's nothing personal. But good fucking God lacrosse sucks big giant nards.

3. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

No, that wasn't me, and it won't be me now. I'll just say now we'll have to agree to disagree.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hey,I have nothing against lacrosse only soccer. I was just looking for a cheap laugh.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I've seen one lacrosse game in my life, an NCAA charmionship one at that, and it was actually pretty entertaining.
    Women do not play by the same rules, correct?

6. No, you aren't allowed to be physical at all in the women's game. It takes away a lot of the entertainment factor.

7. To be honest, I love lacrosse. It's probably my second favorite college and high school sport to watch. Pros? Not so much.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I will defend lacrosse, or at least the men's version, because it IS entertaining -- elements of hockey, basketball, football, rugby and soccer mixed together. I covered a high school tournament yesterday, and honestly among the spring sports the only thing I'd rather cover is either baseball or good softball. But it's a niche sport, so I don't have high expectations, even if 100 miles to the north of me it's treated as a major sport, and 30 miles to the south it doesn't exist at all.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

College lacrosse, men or women, is pretty damn entertaining. Great competition here on the east coast and when played at the highest level, it's as pretty as good ice hockey. But lacrosse should not ever be confined inside of arenas.

10. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

I'm mildly sympathetic to the NCAA in situations like this. With new web sites and bloggers popping up all over the place -- some associated with traditional media and others not -- it's very hard for the NCAA to figure out where to draw the line these days. They undoubtedly want to avoid setting the bar for approval too low on the premise that it's easier to include more people next year than it is to kick people out.

Definitely go the route of finding a sympathetic SID to pull strings for you. It shouldn't be that big a deal to squeeze one more body into the box, plus some people will be no-shows because their teams will be knowcked off before the championship weekend.

11. That's what I'm counting on.

12. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

I think the NCAA just went to a new system for championships where the SIDs of schools playing are the only ones who can vouch for you. In other words, it's supposed to eliminate non-regulars from covering the events. This was the case locally for our basketball tournament first-round coverage, anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted