1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA playoffs - no room at the inn.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by kickoff-time, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

I beg to differ. The dumb*sses got caught.....

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

The excuses these clowns come up with are so gawdawful they'd be better off taking advice and counsel from 4 year olds on how to spin a tall tale. Unfuckingbelievable.

Always liked when they roll out the whole playoff negatively impacting the academics for these part time students at best, when the time period they're talking about is for the most part entirely between semesters where they aren't in class anyway.

Cross threading a bit, I'm just going to drop in a Def Leppard lyric here and on any future threads related to this because the end, my friends, thankfully is near:

When the walls came tumbling down
    When the walls came tumbling down
    When the walls came tunbling down
    Everyone ran as they screamed at the sound

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Make the New Year's games the semis - place the top two seeds(figure top four conference champs or top three and an at-large based on the BCS) in their traditional bowl game sites to make travel easier. Figure any SEC fan could get to New Orleans.
    Figure the Rose Bowl will stick with New Year's regardless. The Big 12 could go to the Fiesta or JerryWorld, the SEC New Orleans or Miami, whichever isn't hosting the National Championship.

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

They've built several new hotels in Starkville over the past 15 years, if Mississippi State is put in a position of hosting a national semifinal.
    Most SEC schools could handle this.

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Yeah, no shit. Being that I am a tax payer of the county that Purdue is in...I have to ask: how many times have you been to West Laffy?
    I have had some rip-roarin' nights on Chauncey Hill (including partying with Jose Cuervo shot girls), a few fun Halloween nights at The Neon Catcus and many other times I can't remember anymore....and I was in my 30s...imagine if I was a college kid again!
    You ever hear of The Breakfast Club? Insanity squared. There is plenty of fun to be had.
    Purdue sucks at football, this we know. They don't care, they have basketball to worry about. But if they ever got good, they would have a backing.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

But are they ever going to get good at basketball?

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Considering one of the reason cited for the proliferation of bowls in recent years (after providing the WWL with programming) is boosting tourism, this may be even lamer than the missed class time reasoning.

8. DanOregon

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Guffaw.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--bowls--extravagant-revenues-are-closely-examined-as-the-ncaa-mulls-a-playoff-system.html

Just cleaning that up.

11. DanOregon

Thanks, sorry about that.
    I was wondering if the administrators even get to this point without Wetzel exposing what a scam the bowls are. The administrators don't care if their school is getting fleeced, they probably have incentives that makes them MORE money to get to a bowl, even if that bowl ends up leaving the school with LESS money. Throw in the perks, the parties etc. - why risk upsetting the bowl folks that may one day have the power to take your school for an at-large BCS bid, or NOT take your school for an at-large bid.

12. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

I don't care what they ultimately end up with, as long as the method of picking the teams doesn't include any polls or rankings prior to the first game of the season.

Draft saved Draft deleted