1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA playoffs - no room at the inn.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by kickoff-time, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

As a native Midwesterner who listens to SEC fans crow about the strength of their almighty conference on a daily basis I say make those fucking guys play in Ann Arbor or Madison in December once in awhile and see how well they do.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

You must mean make Oklahoma State visit Tuscaloosa and Stanford visit Baton Rouge.

If football's a cold-weather sport, why is it played best in the South?

3. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

Um, just guessing, but because football is the No. 1 priority in the SEC and Texas.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

You may or may not recall that Pete Rozelle hated the name Super Bowl when it was first proposed, and that Super Bowl I was officially called something like World Championship of NFL-AFL Football. No matter. The name immediately stuck with the public and of course the public was right, as Rozelle, a smart guy, recognized and got behind.
    College football can call this event whatever it wants. The public and non-rightsholding media are going to call it a playoff, and before very long, that's what it will be officially called.

5. kickoff-time

Michael you are not listening to your elder BCS statesmen and conference commissioners very well. We say again, this is not a playoff.

Now do as we tell you and don't try to bring reality back to the conversation. ;D

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

It's not No. 1 priority in Ohio and Michigan? I've lived in five states and spent lots of time in three others covering 3/4 of the country (none on the West Coast). Football rules all.

7. kickoff-time

I am speaking strictly from the minds of the presidents on this. Academics enter the conversation in the Big Ten. They do not matter in the SEC, save for Vandy.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I was hardly talking about just colleges. The high school and even peewee football being played down South is a superior brand. But this isn't the thread for that discussion, so I'll drop it.

Either way, Roll Tide.

9. kickoff-time

The principals at the elementary and junior high level know football in the South is No. 1 as well.

Might also have to do with the trend of people moving to warmer states for the past few decades, although you would think Arizona would have better football. Maybe in the 75-plus age division it does.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Sorry, but the Big Ten had to turn in it's smug, bullshit we're-about-academics-first card when Gordon Gee made the crack that he was glad Tressel didn't fire him.

11. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

the last two Super Bowl champions would like to remind you that it is very possible to play football in cold weather, even in December and January

12. kickoff-time

Ohio State would be a welcome member in the SEC. The Buckeyes know how to cheat with the best of em.

Draft saved Draft deleted