1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA Partners Up With Sports Media Exchange

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Andy _ Kent, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Okay, so it took a little longer than I would have liked for this to become a reality and to become official. I should have realized these things are slow moving when you deal with such a large organization.

Nevertheless I am excited to be able to announce this as I believe it is a huge step in the right direction for our venture:

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/ncaa?key=/ncaa/ncaa/media+and+events/press+room/news+release+archive/2009/announcements/20091111+sports+media+exchange+rls

Stay tuned for more positive developments on the client front as well.

AK

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

So....the NCAA pays you to provide content for their website? And you commission the work from freelancers?

Just trying to understand how it works.

3. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Rather than bog down this post with a lengthy explanation again allow me to redirect you to one of the other threads on us that was started here and to an article that appeared on Poynter online:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/72430/

http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=131&aid=168560

AK

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Got it. Missed that one the first time around.

Now that I read the first thread....how's business?

5. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

It's been going well, but this definitely gives us a boost. And we have some other irons in the fire that will be coming to the forefront soon.

6. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

Just finished Day 2 of the first gig in this arrangement ... the Division II fhock championships ... it's slightly lower key than working a Frozen Four, but I am having a ball ... you haven't lived until you've functioned as the only media questioner for four back to back 15 minute pressers ... I got a little punchy by the time the last of those rolled around ... on the other hand, I didn't know a single thing about DII fhock a few days ago, but it didn't take long to get into the flow of things ... lots of copy today --- two semifinal gamers (c. 700 words each) and a 600 word sider ... on the other hand, the stories do jump out at you ... one team playing for its 13th natl title under a retiring (but not shy) coach ... one semifinal ended by an absolute rocket of a shot ... gal playing with a snapped ACL ... good stuff ... just trying to do it justice ... very happy to be here ...

7. rsnyder819

rsnyder819 Guest

This sounds great. I hope it works for you. I recently got approved by the exchange to be a potential freelancer. Is there any way of finding out if an assignment could be looming in the near future?

8. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

rsnyder819,

Now that you are in our database you will be contacted by our database administrator and editor, Jill Dorson, whenever an assignment arises in your area.

On a more general newsy note for the entire thread, and at the same time kind of comical to boot, there was an article written about us and the NCAA partnership in last Thursday's New York Times. It only appeared in the print edition, even though it was written by the Times' sports web writer, Lynn Zinser, so I do not have a link.

Week 2 of our NCAA.com coverage begins Thursday and we also have provided NBA content twice in the last two weeks for FoxSports.com -- the Cavs-Knicks game in NYC on the LeBron saga and the Lakers-Nuggets game last Friday on Carmelo Anthony's goal to enter the pantheon occupied by Kobe, LeBron and Wade.

With all of these developments we are hoping the snowball will continue to roll in our favor with even more work for our growing database of writers. ;D

AK

Draft saved Draft deleted