1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA nixes Lutheran Christian, other prep schools

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Del_B_Vista, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Kid from program I cover was at Lutheran for about a month. Left when he realized there were no classes. Direct quote: "I like things easy, but not that easy."

2. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

1. Kids don't care about baseball
    2. The decrease of black players
    3. The steriods problem
    4. You say attendance goes up but I'm curious to see how many actually stay for the whole game.

3. Chuck~Taylor

1. Um, I'm pretty sure baseball was ALOT more popular with the kids in the past.
    2. I don't agree that many of them are black.
    3. When did I say hockey had a steriods problem?
    4. Just because there are a few NBA players doing these things, dosn't mean that all of them are doing it. Plus, I'm pretty sure that there are just as much football players doing the same thing.
    5. Who stays for the whole game in any sport? Are you kidding me? Baseball is the only sport I know(well except for the WNBA) that actually puts up a tarp to cover up empty seats.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Not a decrease in black players, only a decrease in United States Citizens of African descent. Players of African ancestory who are from Central and South America and the Carribean are rather plentiful, even from Puerto Rico. For every Frank Robinson, Hank Aaron and Barry Bonds that isn't coming to the game, we get David Ortiz, Manny Rameriez and Miggy Tejada. But to say black is disingenious at best and racist at worst.

I'm also convinced that more players are using performance enhancing substances in the NFL than MLB, but the networks and written journalism haven't exposed it, for a variety of reasons.

As for attendance staying through the game. When was the last time madison Square Garden had 16,000 people in the stands with 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter of a Knicks game

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

New math.

6. Chuck~Taylor

First of all, you're right about that. But wouldn't you think that a decrease in African American(of African descent) players is a problem?

Secondly, I also agree with you on the steriods problem. I think that the NFL does have problem with steriods but I don't know if there are more steriod users in the NFL.

Finally, the only time MSG isn't packed is when the Knicks are getting killed. I've seen those close games in MSG and it sure looks like there's a good number of people in there. And I can garuntee you that if they make the playoffs, it would be packed for every game.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Chuck, I personally don't think the decrease in African-American players is necessarily a problem by itself. If they're just not as interested, then they're not.

If they're being held back or driven away, that's when it's a problem.

Not everything is driven by race, although I'm sure you don't like hearing me say that.

8. Chuck~Taylor

No no, I agree with everything you said.

EDIT: I don't think they're being "held back", but I think baseball isn't making an effort big enough to attract kids in general.

P.S. Having diversity in your sport is never a bad idea.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Is there a more diverse sport than baseball? You have Americans, Latin Americans, and now an ever growing influx of Asians. Plus a few Australians from time to time too.

Diversity is more than just more African Americans, no matter what Jesse Jackson tries to say.

10. Chuck~Taylor

But you could say the same for basketball as well. Basketball is REALLY popular overseas.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

And I'll readily agree with you on that. A foreign invasion, if you will, although in a good way because in it we've gained some really incredible players.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Point is, Butterator pretty much squashed your diversity assertion. Basketball's diversity was not at issue.

Draft saved Draft deleted