1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA Needs to Go ASAP - More Hypocrisy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Feb 21, 2012.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

How can the NCAA withstand further scrutiny? Their hypocrisy and treatment of student-athletes is getting worse.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/michael_rosenberg/02/21/maryland-edsall-obrien-transfer/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_wr_a3

In the article the Univ. of Maryland looks ridiculous allowing transfers to come in but only giving limited options to someone who wants to leave. This mirrors the St. Joe's case in that the potential transferee got his degree.

I know some hate plaintiff's lawyers, but I hope someone takes down the NCAA on this transfer rule just like Curt Flood took down the MLB Reserve Clause.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Qt, I sympathize with your sentiment, but Curt Flood lost his case. Arbitrator Peter Seitz broke the reserve clause several years later.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

You know I took Sports Law in law school and knew that it was really the Andy Messersmith case that broke it but everyone remembers Curt Flood instead so I went with that.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Just wait until somebody fires a frontal cannon at the NCAA with a lawsuit on the grounds the NCAA has no legal authority to interfere with the attorney-client relationships between student-athletes and attorneys they choose to represent them for whatever reasons (get out of parking tickets, defend assault-and-battery cases, negotiate million-dollar contracts) they see fit.

It would be hard to come up with a more blatant case of interference with one of the most fundamental rights in the constitution.

Not to mention one of the primary reasons the NCAA doesn't want student-athletes to have agents is that the agents will probably have the legal knowledge necessary for students to attack the NCAA itself for its numerous other violations of fundamental rights.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Frankly at this point I would welcome an opportunity to represent an athlete masquerading as a student. Screw the NCAA, they get tax dollars they need to follow the Bill of Rights.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Flood did lose his case because the Supreme Court ruled 5-3 in "stare decis" (let the decision stand) to keep a ruling it had made in the early 1920s against the Federal League that baseball was a sport, not a business, and given an antitrust exemption. The court admitted that the grounds for the exemption were pretty weak, and didn't apply it to other sports.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flood_v._Kuhn

I'd think a student's challenge to the NCAA would go over better than Curt Flood's did, because there's no previous ruling for an antitrust exemption for college sports. If anything, the NCAA losing the case against the college football schools for TV purposes in the early '80s might help the kid's case.

And yeah, this is another log on the fire for the "student-athlete" and their rights. The QB could argue in court that Maryland and the NCAA are consipiring to prevent him from getting a scholarship to Vanderbilt, or, if Vandy gives him the schollie, prevents him from fully enjoying the college experience like any other student would.

It's only a matter of time for the NCAA. As I've said many times here earlier, and with the MLB example, they better find a way to get control of the situation before the athletes take control for themselves.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

There's already another thread on this anyways, but Edsall backed down after a week of getting slapped around from pillar to post.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/88756/

Draft saved Draft deleted