1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA moving the 3-point line

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Captain_Kirk, May 3, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Great post... BUT WRONG!

The free throw line is 15 feet FROM THE BACKBOARD.
    The top of the key is 21 feet FROM THE BACKBOARD.
    The hoop is 18" in diameter.
    Adding the depth of the plate that holds the hoop to the backboard, the distance from the three-point line TO THE CENTER OF THE BASKET is 19 feet, 9 inches.
    In fact, the distance to the front of the rim is only 19 feet.
    You're not shooting the ball to the backboard, you're shooting the ball INTO the basket.

The NBA uses the same center of the hoop measurement for its 3-point line.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

One foot? Yeah, college basketball gunners will have to make a serious adjustment.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Then DO NOT call a shot from the foul line a 15-footer.

Except, everyone does. Isn't that one of the measurements everyone knows on the court? The foul line is 15 feet?

4. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

You need a new NCAA record book. The career record for 3-pointers is 457 by Duke's J.J. Redick.

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

They should move it back to NBA length and hopefully THAT would force teams to play the game the right way again. I know it is exciting but there is nothing more awful than watching these horse shit mid-major teams pulling or trying to pull "upsets" in the NCAA tournament by hoisting up 75 three's and hoping a few of them stick.

6. IU90

IU90 Member

1983? The colleges didn't officially adopt the line until the 86-87 season, and most state high school associations not for a couple years after that. If Idaho had the 3-line in 83, I'd think that would put them WAY ahead of everyone else.

7. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

What can I say, Idaho is a trendsetting, ahead-of-the-game kind of state.

Heck, television was invented by an Idaho boy.

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Great move by the NCAA.
    Now, if we can just get the girls to play with the same size basketball that the boys do.
    Or do we want that?

9. RokSki

RokSki New Member

That would be great, especially as players get bigger and bigger and the court thus gets smaller.

When you can have 12 year olds come out of the stands at halftime and go like 8 for 10 from 19'9", you know the shot's a joke

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Blitz ---- Hopefully sportschick is not lurking somewhere because I'm sure this response will illicit some sort of "you are a sexist and afraid of strong women" bullshit response but here goes nothing....

But absolutely not, we don't want the women to start using the bigger basketball because they have a hard enough time controlling and/or consistently scoring with the smaller ball. In general, they have smaller hands and as a result, the scores would go down dramatically and the turnovers would sky rocket (two things that sport cannot afford).

That is not a rip on women's basketball, nor it is a comment about Title 9, abortion, Susan B. Anthony and the right to vote or on women's issues in general, it is just my observations of the women's game and I'd be willing to bet I've watched and/or covered it as much or more than anyone on these threads.

Now, if you wanted to do something like this and were willing to live with about a five to ten year learning curve -- because you'd have to institute it at all levels -- then maybe you could do it, but the sport of women's basketball, which is still very rough around the edges, would be awful during the transition.

11. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Agreed. You're dealing with two different physiologies. That said, I love playing with the local college girls in pickup. But when you're talking about long-distance shots and ballhandling, the smaller ball makes sense

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted