1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA moving the 3-point line

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Captain_Kirk, May 3, 2007.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

It shouldn't be high on a list of things to worry about. But it's frustrating when you want to comment on something and there are two threads on the subject.

2. RokSki

RokSki New Member

It's about time they did this. It's far too easy of a shot

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

OK, though I know I am the only one on earth who has noticed this or cares, this brings up a long-standing pet peeve of mine.

The college 3-pointer was never 19-9. I don't know what it was like where you grew up, but in my neck of the woods they taught us from the beginning that the foul line is a 15-foot shot and the top of the key is 21 feet. It only makes sense, since the lane is 12 feet wide and that circle has a six-foot radius (yes, I'll wait for you to go get your tape measures and check). The 3-point line is the same distance as the top of the key -- 21 feet.

The 19-9 crap came about because the NCAA wanted to sell the idea that the 3-pointer it was inserting into the game would be a makeable shot and would impact the game. So they announced the measurement to the center of the basket -- 19 feet, 9 inches -- rather than where the rim connects to the backboard, the standard that had been used forever, because 19-9 sounds shorter. Sort of like the reason stores sell things for $19.95 instead of $20.00.

The upshot of all this is, if you want to call the 3-point shot 19-9, don't call a shot from the foul line 15 feet. Either a free throw is 13-9 or a 3-pointer is 21 feet.

Insane rant over.

Please carry on.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'm clearly still bitter.

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Nope

6. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

The biggest joke was the 1983 3-point arc in the ACC, which was between the top of the key and the free-throw line. It should be far enough back that it's not part of a routine offense, like the NBA distance.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That line at 19 feet (17-9 if you insist) allowed Mark Price to win the ACC scoring title over some kid named Jordan.

8. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

I'm waiting for the NCAA to amend the free-throw lane to the trapezoid that was tested during the preseason NIT a few years back. :)

Feel the need to add, from the NCAA record book:
    College basketball adopted the three-point shot starting in the
    1986-87 season, and Virginia's Curtis Staples has taken advantage
    of it the most of any Division I player, sinking 413 of them in his
    career.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Wow... solid post

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

To be honest, I never knew this. Great post.

11. KP

KP Active Member

High school would be the same as women's college.

12. John

John Well-Known Member

Buried in the AP story was the plan to change where players stand during free throws in men's games -- making it the same as the women's game. No longer will anyone stand in the first slot right under the basket. I think this might have just as big an impact as the 3-point line because of how far it puts the shooting team away from the basket.

It will probably cut down on offensive rebounds and over-the-back fouls.

Draft saved Draft deleted