1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA moving the 3-point line

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Captain_Kirk, May 3, 2007.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

A good move that was overdue. Looks like the college 3 point line will be moved back a foot. Will make the 3 point shot a little tougher and perhaps push a little more emphasis on the game inside the 3 pt line.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news?slug=ap-ncaa-3-pointline&prov=ap&type=lgns

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/10164333

No longer 19-9 shot, now a 20-9 shot

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Wonder if the high schools will follow suit? Or at least how quickly...

4. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

<a href="http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/41032/">
    This is a d_b. The linked thread started first.</a>

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Yeah, but is it a db if the original thread garnered no responses? :(

Kind of the tree falling in the forest, concept.

6. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Re: Another foot for a college trey

So is this gonna' be like the 3 point line they use during international games?

7. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

AP story says high schools will stay 19-9.

8. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I wish that they would push it back to the NBA distance. I've never liked the 3-pointer at the length the NCAA currently uses because it's too close and it has changed the game. If they got rid of the 3-pointer, that would be fine with me. It seems like the mid-range jumper is a lost art these days. Too many offenses are set up for two or three players to be stationed behind the arc and I don't think it makes for good basketball. Granted, the quick shift of momentum can lead to excitement, but that doesn't mean it's good basketball.

9. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Good move I think. Presnetly, it's as close for a college senior male as it is for a junior high school girl to shoot a 3.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So the floor at a facility that hosts NBa and college games -- say MSG -- will have three sets of lines for the arc? That's a bit busy...

11. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Wouldn't that be a state-by-state decision? Idaho had the 3-point line two years before some neighboring states did. My school got some extra home games because the nearby border schools wanted to play with a 3-point line.

side note: yours truly recorded the first 3-point basket in Idaho high school history during a freshman basketball game in 1983.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Kirk: d_b by five minutes my friend. Missed by this much ...

Draft saved Draft deleted