1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA Loses To Canuckistanis

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pete Incaviglia, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Re: NCAA Loses To Canuckistans

His brother.

2. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Re: NCAA Loses To Canuckistans

Just read there were 19 NCAA teams in Canada this weekend playing 55 games. Canadian teams won six games, twice as many as last season.

3. Flash

Flash Guest

There was a time when the CIS (then CIAU) football champs played the NCAA champs in an exhibition game ... man, that would be ugly today.

Are we sure these weren't JV or red-shirt squads? If they weren't, I'm pretty sure the NCAA teams weren't taking these games all that seriously.

4. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Yeah, in the AUS teams in hockey and volleyball played NCAA teams. Every year, the Dal men's volleyball team plays exhibitions matches against other CIS teams for a trophy, but one year, I remember them playing an NCAA team and they got brutally crushed.

5. Pete Incaviglia

Someone posted above that 'Bama dressed everyone but Steele. So that's not an awful roster.

Here are the six Canadian wins:
    UBC 106, Boise State 86
    Concordia 88, Illinois 82
    Carleton 83, Alabama 72
    Calgary 81, Weber State 74
    Brock 81, North Florida 72
    York 80, Morehead State 79

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Would there ever be a time where NCAA teams could play Canadian teams in a regular-season setting? I was thinking about this (and in the process showing my extreme ignoramocity about Canadian collegiate sports) when the Big 10 was talking about expansion and I wondered if U of Toronto could theoretically fit.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

No.
    There may be one of two Canadian basketball teams (Carlton) that MIGHT be able to compete. Other than, forget about it. And U of T is athlete's hell. They're taking a stab at beating the all time losing streak--around 41 games (in an 8 game season) for CIS football.

The only sport where there'd be halfway decent competition is hockey and I'm not sure very many American schools could beat the majority of CIS teams.

8. Pete Incaviglia

JR

After its 42-17 loss to Waterloo on Monday, Toronto's football team has now lost 42 consecutive regular season games. The record is 47, I believe.

York (which is Toronto's other university for those that don't know) lost to Windsor 59-0 Monday. So, this sets up an interesting showdown between the two Saturday in Toronto.

As for hoops, Canada is trying to going with FIBA rules from the top down across the country. And by top down I mean university, college, high school, elementary school and club teams would all play FIBA rules, FIBA distances, etc.

The Raptors would be the only team in Canada to not play by those rules.

Schools in Ontario are balking at it because they don't want to install shot clocks. Teams out West are balking at it because they don't want to paint international lines on the floor. Refs are balking at it across the board because they don't want to learn the FIBA stuff, although women's university basketball in Canada already plays FIBA.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Interesting anecdote. A few years back, U of T was getting kids trying out for the team who had never played HIGH SCHOOL football. It was pathetic and they should have disbanded the entire pgroam.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

A lot of CIS and D1 hockey teams play exhibition games against each other at the start of the season (and Army and Royal Military College played once a year during the season for years before it stopped last year). The CIS teams can be competitive against all but the top teams like Michigan, Michigan State etc.

By the time a lot of major junior players get to the CIS they are looking to play more for fun than anything else. They've had enough of stressful, high-stakes hockey.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

UBC is attempting to become part of NCAA. I'm not sure which division but from all accounts there is a good chance of this happening.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I remember reading something about the last RMC/Army game. They don't do it any longer, do they?

Draft saved Draft deleted