1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA Loses To Canuckistanis

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pete Incaviglia, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Illinois dropped by Concordia: http://www.universitysport.ca/e/story_detail.cfm?id=8979

'Bama bounced by Carleton: http://www.universitysport.ca/e/story_detail.cfm?id=8981

I wonder how many "everyday players" the NCAA teams are playing.

2. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Re: NCAA Loses To Canuckistans

I think the adjective form would be Canuckistani.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I believe Boise State lost one of its two games as well. I know some of the teams with foreign players had visa issues. . .

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

No Ronald Steele, but otherwise Bama is supposed to be at full strength (minus incoming recruits, who are barred by NCAA rule.)

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ummm, Alabama lost to Canadian college teams... which is like losing to UAH in hockey...

6. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Pete, I am not surprised that Carleton beat Bama because Carleton has been the most dominant team in CIS for the last number of years. Halifax hosted the Final 8/10 Basketball Tournament for the last number of years (we are about to lose it to Carleton) and The Ravens have won five straight championships. Jeanty was a big loss this season for the team, but they have a couple of strong fifth year players in Ryan Bell and Jean Emmanuel Jean-Marie. Also, a standout player in the championship last year was Aaron Doornekamp, who is a fourth year forward (He won tournament MVP). Stuart Turnbull made an impression last season in the guard position and he is a third year player.

7. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Cansportschick,
    I'm as Canadian as you are, but to say you're not surprised is to show your patriotism, isn't it? (waving the red-and-white).
    US colleges recruit in Canada as a matter of course. If the players you mention were all that, most (if not all) would have nibbles from the NCAA.
    I'd classify these wins as an early-season shocker, for sure. Probably a wakeup call, too. :D

8. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Trust me, I would be touting the Maritime ball teams if I were really patriotic. ST FX and SMU come to mind, but if Dalhousie, my alma mater actually got to the championships then that would be something to brag about. I wouldn't be touting Carleton but the teams from my area. The fact is that Carleton is the one team that could match up against NCAA teams.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I was answering the original question, which asked how many everyday players were involved.

And don't sleep on the Chargers, baby.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Not surprised ... Anyone who's a real baller is either in the NBA now, or soon will be. Even with the new draft rules, the best players at majors are only staying for their freshman year and then declaring. The ones who remain are spare to fair.

11. WS

WS Member

Bama was at full strength, minus Steele, and had the incoming recruits. Arkansas went on some Labor Day trip somewhere, and had its freshmen. The new guys were eligible to play because the trip came after the start of school. Instead of playing 7 guys, everyone played. It was a good wake-up call and a true road game in a loud sellout gym. The year Alabama went to the Elite 8, they lost in the Bahamas because the bellhop at their hotel hit about 12-15 threes.

12. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

Any relation to the Doornekamp/slow strong white boy for Boston College in recent years? (i'm too lazy and tired to do research right now. sorry.)

Draft saved Draft deleted