1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA looking into Manziel profiting from autographs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NDJournalist, Aug 4, 2013.

1. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

According to Darren Rovell and ESPN.

If true, so ridiculous. I have no idea why an organization can restrict a player from profiting from his own signature.
  2. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

Here's the link

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Because the player signs off on it when he goes to college?

Johnny Football can play in the CFL if he likes. He'll get a salary and very little celebrity. But if you want the college experience and the all the hot tubs and fun stuff A&M provides for football players, you can't take your own moolah. It's not that hard to understand.

If they broker a deal, the NCAA and these athletes, well, great. But there will be no deal. It's going to Roberts, Scalia, Sotormayor and the gang.
  4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Because the NCAA is only concerned with making money for themselves. Heaven forbid if the athletes make money too.

If anything, I hope it's true, and Manziel holds a big press conference and rips the NCAA to shreds for profiting off of him while he's not supposed to receive a penny beyond the scholarship.
  5. Baron Scicluna

You do realize those hot tubs are supposed to be therapy for their injuries, right?
  6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Except that he <i>agreed</i> to receive only a scholarship. He entered into the damn thing. These are the rules.
  7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

OK, proletariat. The snazzy Adidas gear then. I dunno. There are perks to playing football at A&M. Many perks.
  8. Baron Scicluna

It's not like he had a choice. If he wanted to participate in A&M's extracurricular activity of playing football against other universities, he had to sign the agreement.

On a side note, Texas is a right-to-work state, meaning "a person cannot be denied employment because of membership or non-membership in a labor union or other labor organization." Makes you wonder if somebody like Manziel could claim that the NCAA is a labor organization, and shouldn't be able to deny him outside employment. A bit of a reach, but you never know.
  9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm sure Rick Perry would see it that way.
  10. Baron Scicluna

They're forced to wear the Adidas gear. Watch the shit-fit if Manziel suddenly decided to wear a different company's shoe. It happened already with Michael Jordan's kid.

And here's an assistant soccer coach at St. John's who sued because he refused to wear the Nike swoosh:

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

On gameday, sure. And the NFL has the same rules.

Not on gameday, J. Football can wear all the Nike he pleases. But he'd have to buy it. The adidas stuff is free.
  12. Baron Scicluna

Not this Arkansas St. basketball player. He wasn't allowed to practice unless he wore Adidas.

Draft saved Draft deleted