1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA Letters of Intent

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

When did the NCAA begin using the LOI system that's currently in place? Did athletes in the 70s and 60s sign LOIs, or did they just show up on whatever campus when classes began in the fall?

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

According to Wiki:
    "Dr. J. William Davis, Professor of Government and Faculty Athletics Representative at Texas Technological College (now Texas Tech University), created the National Letter of Intent program in 1964. He was assisted by Howard Grubbs, who was Commissioner of the Southwest Conference at the time. In October 2007, the NCAA became responsible for the administration of the program.[1]"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Letter_of_Intent

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

According to wiki, started in 1964 with the Southwest Conference (big surprise there, given some of the heated/dirty recruiting battles in Texas), but quickly spread all over the country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Letter_of_Intent

EDIT: raeder beat me to it ...

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Damn it, Wiki!!! The one place I didn't look.

Thanks y'all.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Worst exploitation of athletes outside of the Iron Curtain (which no longer exists). Really. Ridiculous system. Year by year unilateral renewal system. Unconscionably unfair.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Well, the Chinese are pretty tough on their athletes, taking them away from their families when they are 6 years old or thereabouts, but your point stands.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That's LOI® to you, mister.

Saw it myself when I covered my signing last week.

Draft saved Draft deleted