1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA investigating Cam Newton

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Nov 4, 2010.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

The renovating a church caveat smacks of The Blues Brothers. Kenny Rogers: "I'm on a mission from God."

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think we've been there for quite some time.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

How many times have Alabama and Auburn tattled on each other?

4. Mizzougrad96

I thought Spurrier had a rep for ratting out fellow coaches when he was at Florida.

5. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

Spurrier was the rat for a very long time.

Alabama and Auburn rarely tattle on each other. Fulmer was ONE of the MANY culprits against Bama a few years ago.

This is a load of bull, IMO.

6. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, I don't think it would be too smart for Alabama and Auburn to be calling the NCAA on each other. Both schools have been in enough trouble over the years that they wouldn't turn someone in.

Meyer and a Meyer disciple would be just arrogant enough to turn Auburn in.

Mullen's "I'm saving it for the book." line certainly makes it sound like he was dying for the story to get out there.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yahoo's Dan Wetzel hits the nail absolutely on the head:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=dw-newton110410

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

If you think Alabama and Auburn "rarely" tattle on each other, you're nuts.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

That about sums it up.

Pro football is fun to watch -- including the SEC.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I'm not buying this for a second. Is there a lot of dirt out there and kids getting a few bucks and maybe a car from boosters? Sure. But Wetzel would have us believe that the top stars on the top teams are routinely getting $200,000 or more to sign with certain colleges. If that's happening, we'd have known about a lot of those cases in this day and age of 24-hour news cycle, bloggers, internet, etc. And if Wetzel is so positive it's happening, he can feel free to offer some proof and name a few names. He's supposed to be tuned in, isn't he?

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The college football star driving a fancy car, convertibles in my childhood, Escalades today, has been a cliche of American life for decades. The rise in the dollar amounts of the payoffs are probably just inflation in action.

12. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

It is very rare for Alabama and Auburn to say much out of the way to the NCAA. There are a few instances where I can remember Pat Dye accusing Alabama of some things, but the two schools hardly ever cause much problems for the other.

Draft saved Draft deleted