1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA investigating Cam Newton

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Or . . . GASP! . . . didn't want to see it.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yeah but was a situation where UT and Bama were directly involved in recruiting the same kid. I may have the details wrong but I think all Tennessee did was report a potential violation regarding a kid they were attempting to recruit. That happens all the time.

Florida's involvement with this is different. The kid was at UF, got kicked out and wound up at another SEC school after spending a year at JUCO. If what is being reported is accurate, UF had no direct involvement in the recruiting violation but had a hand in seeing that the story went public. There was no reason for UF to do that other than spite.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Well, Newton left Florida voluntarily, so maybe if Florida sees it as him spurning both Urban Meyer and former UF OC Dan Mullen at MSU, I'd be stunned if one or both schools weren't involved in making sure this gets out there.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Spurrier also had a hand in it. But you'd never know it based on whom Alabama fans blame.

Next shoe to drop may be why he left Florida. Details of that are still in rumor stage, however.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Well, MSU was directly involved as they were the school that reported the original violation. But they had to do that or they risked getting in trouble themselves.

My point about the SWC comparison is that what killed that league is that schools started turning each other in purely because they were pissed about losing recruiting battles.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The schools wouldn't pay the athletes. The boosters would. Although I'm sure, the schools would "wink-wink" not pay them.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Sure you can stop policing it. Let the athletes collect as many cars and cash as they want.

And for those who say that the athletes are already getting paid through their scholarships, if the $200K figure is true, then Newton is getting roughly $50K more than the value of four years of education at Auburn:

http://www.auburn.edu/administration/business_office/finaid/pdf/cost.pdf

EDIT: Actually, he's getting roughly $60K more than the value, considering the scholarship doesn't pay for the personal expenses that Auburn put in their figures.

8. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Good point about the good, old Southwest Conference. I was never happy with the merger that formed the Big 12.

But all of this is circumstantial evidence. A lot of smoke. A renovated church. A former Mississippi State quarterback's testimony. None of it passes the smell test. Especially when the NCAA seeks financial statements from your old man, who "picked" where you were to play college football.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It's a matter of time until that money is traced.

It's not like you can throw it out a dorm window into a dumpster.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Google Albert Means and see what comes up.

You know who looks bad in all this? A.J. Green. He only got $1,000 for a stinkin jersey.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think the SEC cheats more today than the SWC did in the 1980s. I just think most of the schools are smarter about it.

12. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

We're gonna come to a time where the Heisman winner is like the Tour De France winner - you just assume they were paid until it's proven otherwise, just like you assume the Tour winner doped until/unless they prove they didn't. Guilty until proven innocent.

Draft saved Draft deleted