1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA investigating Cam Newton

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

When I read the SI story on Newton last week, my one lingering thought was why he allowed his father to choose the school for him. If he had really matured at the Juco, it seemed odd that he would let someone else make such an important decision.

I wonder if pushing that story was preemptive on the part the AU and/or the family to protect the son.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The family probably got paid twice, by Florida initially and by Auburn the second time.

It would not surprise me at all if Florida or Mississippi State made sure this story came out.

Mullen's comments were definitely what stood out the most to me.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

What's stopping these people from taking a payment from numerous schools?

What if this dad had a $1,000 a month "I'll keep you considered" payment going out to all these schools? How many MSU's will report this stuff?

And I would be shocked if something like this was not going on with T. Pryor. Remember how that process kept dragging on? I'll bet a month's paycheck that was so people could keep getting paid before he signed on the dotted line.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

5. Mizzougrad96

I think most major colleges cheat, but I think it goes to a whole different level in the SEC.

If ever there was a school that needed a difference maker immediately, it was Auburn.

6. Armchair_QB

The answer is there is nothing to stop them.

Eric Dickerson driving the Trans Am a Texas A&M booster gave him to Dallas when he signed with SMU is a good example of this. Been going on for years.

7. Mizzougrad96

I was covering a practice at a major school and there were two parking lots.

The first one: Escalade, Escalade, Explorer, 4Runner, Tahoe, Escalade.

The second one: Taurus, Civic, Sonata, Saturn.

The first lot was the players. The second lot was the media.

8. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

This is no shock. College football corrupt? Big surprise. ::) I've resigned myself to the fact it's nothing more than a farm system for the NFL. The SEC and the other BCS conferences would be Triple A, mid-majors, Double-A, etc. I just wish they'd acknowledge what it is. Think about how much money the NCAA and the schools make from these "amateur" athletes. Think about all of the No. 2 Newton jerseys sold by Auburn.

I'm not surprised that Newton was paid off in some way. A lot of smoke, but I think if people do a little more digging, flames will be seen through the cracks.

9. Mizzougrad96

I think you'd have to be a fool or an Auburn fan to think there was nothing to the stories.

It sounds like the local guys missed badly on this one.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Yep, but you cannot just stop policing it either.

It's a flawed system, but it's the one we have.

11. Armchair_QB

If Florida really did have a hand in bringing this story to light the SEC is headed down the same road as the SWC.

12. Mizzougrad96

Didn't Fulmer blow the whistle on Bama a few years back?

Draft saved Draft deleted