1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA hockey tournament

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Mar 20, 2023.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I live in Fairfield County, Connecticut, and my nephew is a freshman at Sacred Heart University in Fairfield, which used to be a commuter school but thanks to an infusion of money and influence from the likes of Jack Welch, Vince McMahon, and Bobby Valentine has quickly leveled up in many sports, including hockey, which opened a brand new stadium this year on its west campus.

I've taken my wife, daughter, and others to two games so far, and my wife and daughter are now confirmed hockey fans (at least in person).

Is there a greater disparity in sports experience than the hockey you get in person versus the hockey you see on TV?

Anyway, Total Mortgage Arena in Bridgeport is hosting the second round of the NCAA men's hockey tournament this weekend and I dropped $200 on two tickets so I can take my daughter. (I could have gotten cheaper tickets, but what the hell.)

Round One on Friday features Quinnipiac (who we also saw earlier this year at their beautiful, recently built new stadium) versus Merrimack, while the other side of their bracket features Harvard versus Ohio State.

Hoping we get to see Quinnipiac versus Harvard on Sunday afternoon, if only because of the regional ties.

There are few sports it seems where a university can level up as quickly as hockey. Next season I'm planning to buy season tickets for Sacred Heart. Wish they had made the tourney this year, but hopeful for next year. In the meantime, go Quinnipiac, which itself used to be known only as a commuter school.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
  2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This year the four regionals are in Allentown, Pa., (the South regional), Bridgeport, Manchester, NH, and Fargo. Then the Frozen Four is in Tampa. Host school: Wisconsin.
    I quite enjoy college hockey because so much more of the action takes place with players who're clearly testing the outside of the envelope on their skating and other skills. More reckless.

CD Boogie likes this.
  3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I have a friend whose nephew played at Quinnipiac recently. They got to the Elite 8 his senior year.

Canisius making it was a big surprise. They'll probably get thrashed by the Gophers, but given the sad state of their basketball program, a boost for the school.

Micro Jr. went to DU for graduate school, has a commemorative puck from last year's national championship team. He watched the semis and finals at a near-campus bar last year, said it was absolute bedlam. Graduation was at Magnuss Arena, as fine a place as you need for a college program.

I started following college hockey when I lived in North Dakota. The Sioux were just starting to get good again, they had big watch parties at the local bars for the NCAA games. The old WCHA was a monster league.

Hockey in person is super. College hockey even better, because the arenas are more intimate and you're right on top of the action. I went to the 2003 or 2004 Frozen Four in Buffalo, Minnesota beat Michigan I think. Unfortunately, they have really jacked up the price of tickets since then and I've noticed some empty seats at recent FFs, which also might be attributable to some non-traditional programs making the field, like UMass and Union and RPI.

4. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

Minnesota is absolutely stacked, and this is their best chance to win it all since their last one 20 years ago. Their top line when on is just dominant; Gopher fans are willing to overlook the fact that two of the three aren't even native Minnesotans (Logan Cooley and Matthew Knies, about whom Maple Leaf fans have been drooling for a couple of years).

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I follow the ECAC because of my alma mater. I actually watched bits of the Colgate-Quinnipiac and Cornell-Harvard games in their conference tourny semifinals on Friday (both went to OT). I was surprised that Colgate beat Quinnipiac (double OT), shocked that they beat Harvard (which is stacked with near NHL-quality players) in the final. Quinnipiac, Harvard and Cornell were going to the NCAA tourny either way, but Colgate needed to win out to make it. So as a result the ECAC has 4 teams in.

All of that said, I like Minnesota to win it all, even though they are the obvious pick. It wouldn't be a complete upset, but don't sleep on Boston University either.

6. Michael_ Gee

Dues paying (and how!) BU parent of two graduates here. They've been good this year. My favorite BU hockey story comes from my daughter. She was in a class with one of the top players (forget who) of the 2009 championship team. So the Tuesday after the win, the class is meeting and the player's phone goes off. He tells prof "excuse me, I have to take this" and leaves room. Couple minutes later he comes back and says, "excuse me, I have to go sign with the Rangers now." Leaves class and is never seen again on campus as far as my daughter knows.

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I got my daughter into hockey by taking her to see the Las Vegas Wranglers at the Orleans Arena. I told her these guys are doing the same thing as the NHL players, but slower, so it's easier to see what's going on. She loved it.
    I would recommend to anyone hoping to get into watching hockey, go to a local rink, watch a minor league or college game, or even a juniors game. You can see what they're trying to do.

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I went to high school with Chris Drury, who went to BU and is now the Rangers GM. Great guy, winner incarnate.

9. The Big Ragu

I don't know who the Rangers player would have been. ... but Kevin Shattenkirk and Nick Bonino played for that team.

10. Michael_ Gee

Best hockey game I ever covered was the 1991 national championship game. Northern Michigan bear BU (another Ranger, Tony Amonte, was its star) 8-7 in triple overtime.

UPChip likes this.
  11. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

Most disappointing game I ever attended as a fan was two years earlier in that same building, Harvard over Minnesota in OT in championship game - don't know that I've ever heard a quieter group of 17,000 people than after the goal was scored. A Gopher defenseman hit the post in OT just a few minutes before the winning goal.

12. The Big Ragu

I filled out a bracket for this year’s tourney and I ended with Minnesota and Harvard in the final.

I don’t think Minnesota was done any favors with that grouping. Any of the Minnesota teams is capable of moving on from that regional.

Draft saved Draft deleted