1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA gives shorter penalties to BCS schools.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

They tend to be some of the worst run athletic departments in Division I also.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Since when is the SWAC a BCS conference?

3. Armchair_QB

Interesting that the firm that conducted the study was the same firm that represented Alabama State when it got drilled with a 5-year probation (eventually reduced to 3 years by the committee on infractions).

They also offer no specific example of a non-HBCU that committed similar violations to Alabama State and received a lesser penalty.

And Alabama State managed to violate damn near every major rule in the book in the case that was referenced:

"The Alabama State enforcement case involved academic fraud violations, as well as
    violations of NCAA legislation for offer and inducement of prospective student-
    athletes, recruiting, financial aid, extra benefits, student-athlete eligibility for practice
    and competition, playing and practice seasons, supplemental fund for the coaching
    staff, failure to monitor by the former head coach and a lack of institutional control.

The NCAA Division I Committee on Infractions issued a five-year probation penalty on
    December 10, 2008."

Smells like sour grapes to me.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Smells like USC to me. Or the fallout from a Lou Holtz tenure.

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

A fact long known by everybody but it's nice to see it quantified in a study. The NCAA's still looking for a way to avoid cracking down on cash cow USC for the Reggie Brooks and O.J. Mayo stuff.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I believe this nugget provides all you need to know about the relevance of the study:

"The limited scope of the study did not include an analysis of the possible reasons
    for the probation penalty disparity."

In other words: differences exist, but we don't feel like explaining them or giving them context; we just want to throw something out there -- particularly with racial overtones -- and see if anybody bites.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I think the ramifications of the death penalty are exaggerated, especially in SMU's case. The only reason why they rose in the early 1980s was because of the blatant cheating. Take away that and its SWC membership, and SMU was not much more than a mid-major football school to begin with, even before the death penalty. Post-death penalty and post-SWC, they remain what they are.

Give a school like USC or LSU the gas, on the other hand, and they'll be back to what they are in about four years' time.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The SMU precedent is probably why Kentucky, UNLV and Michigan basketball didn't get the death penalty over the last 20 years. The NCAA will never hand out the death penalty again.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Perfect example is Memphis basketball.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Not to mention it's a whole lot easier to build/rebuild a basketball program than a football program. To be a hoops powerhouse, all you need is about 3-4 elite guys and a bunch of role-players.

You can do that in one recruiting class if you're good enough (two or three if you're not as good).

11. Armchair_QB

It's also why Baylor only received half a death penalty (no non-conference games for one season) as punishment for the Bliss era.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Anyone else cringe seeing "Baylor" and "death penalty" in the same sentence?

Draft saved Draft deleted