1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA Football Week 7: John Elway's Cardinal Sins

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

So unless there are upsets, we already have a de facto playoff, in that the top four teams play each other, and the winners will naturally be impossible for any other unbeaten team to catch. BTW, while I dislike/loath the BCS, there's no quarrel here with their choice of the top 4 to date.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Well, Wisconsin or Boise could move up into that after Missouri beats Oklahoma State.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Barring all four of the top teams losing twice, I'd be surprised if any other teams have a shot.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Right now, there's a big gap between these 10 teams and everyone else.

That's true in the BCS rankings and all three major polls (AP, coaches, SportsJournalists.com ... :D)

The only team I can see barging into the mix is Kansas State, if it can keep rolling. Wildcats have a tough four-game stretch starting Oct. 29 (Oklahoma, at Oklahoma St., Texas A&M, at Texas).

5. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

They can beat A&M and Texas for sure. The other two I don't think they will have the firepower to win.

6. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Georgia has underachieved every season since finishing #2 in 2007, and has gotten worse each year. 10-3 with blowout losses to Bama and Florida and an embarrassing choke against Trek; 8-5 with a loss to Kentucky on Homecoming; 6-7 with losses to Central Florida (!) and Colorado (!!!!).

Richt screwed himself royal by never taking that next step to a championship game during his salad days. 2002 Georgia was a fart-up against Florida away for playing for all the marbles, and 2003 was a horrible Billy Bennett day in Death Valley away from the championship game, too. Had he taken care of business, he'd get more slack. Alas.

Georgia will be favored in every game from here on out. They've got better athletes than Florida at every relevant position. They really have no business losing that game. If they do, well...

7. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

As perhaps the biggest (and definitely one of the only) K-State fans here, I tend to agree.

You can't mark any of them up as wins, of course, but I think Texas is the best bet. A&M is next, but that's going to be damn tough. As for OU and OSU ... yeah, I don't know. I'll hope, and I've learned about 1,000 times -- including three or four this season -- to have faith in the man in charge. Hey, if K-State plays clean one of those other teams doesn't, who knows? But, yeah, it doesn't seem very likely.

This squad isn't entirely full of slow, white 1-star recruits, but 9 or 10 wins with this bunch, to me, is one hell of an accomplishment.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The following exchange:

Becomes this when translated by Dooleyfish:

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

There is, frankly, no reason that Georgia fans shouldn't have a sense of entitlement. There is no major difference between Georgia and Alabama, Auburn, Florida and LSU, in terms of money, facilities, fanbase, etc. So it's perfectly legitimate for Georgia fans to ask why they're not routine national title contenders when the other four have at least one national title each in the past five years.

Not that my opinion is entirely unbiased, natch, but put it this way: Nick Saban would have a national title by now if he'd spent the past five years at Georgia.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Not sure about Auburn & Florida but LSU & Alabama's non-stadium facilities are light years ahead of UGa's. Pretty sure Bama, LSU & UF all have more in the way of financial resources as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted