1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA Football Week 3 Running Thread: Rick Mirer's Irish Eyes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Sep 12, 2011.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

What is done in basketball with the Big 10 and ACC should be copied in football, just with conferences that have good football teams (I know, outside of Tech and FSU).

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

LSU goes down Saturday to the delight of Blitz.

Ye olde Irish drops to 0-3, as people in South Bend begin jumping off camera towers.

Oklahoma State defeats Tulsa in a game that will resemble a basketball score.

Miami defeats Ohio State. Then all the Hurricane players will get laid on a boat.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

HEY!

There is another decent ACC-BIG 12 matchup this weekend.

Kansas @ Georgia Tech

Sidebar; KU's offense looked very good as they outscored Northern Illinois 45-42 Saturday Night.

Their defense, however, couldn't stop you with a gun and a badge.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

LSU-MSU is a Thursday night game in Starkville.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Ah yes.

Even sooner.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Several other good matchups:

1. Arizona St. at Illinois: I really like the Illini QB, and think Illinois (despite the Zook factor) could have one of its out-of-nowhere runs in it this year.

2. West Virginia at Maryland: This could give the Terps two strong wins to start the season (albeit both at home).

3. Washington St. at San Diego St.: Could the Cougs really start the season 3-0? Loebstall has done well at QB, but this is a step up in competition.

4. Central Michigan at Western Michigan: Why is this game being played so early in the season?? Oh well ... fire up, Chips!

Among the really bad matchups:

Idaho at Texas A&M: Not sure what the betting line is, but if they allowed bets on a HALFTIME spread (before the subs come in), I'd set the over/under at 40.

7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

A&M opened as a 37-point favorite but it's been bet down to 35.5.

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

USC drew in the 50s for Minnesota and 72k for Utah. Place holds 90,000. Shouldn't be a problem getting tickets. Be careful on the street corners, though.

9. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I don't see the luckiest MF on the planet losing to the Starkvillians. I don't care how stoked Blitz and Co. get. LSU will figure out some way to ruin the night for the Pups.

10. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Tennessee ekes one out at the swamp in the best game the two have had since '98.

11. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I agree and already have heard of a friend who's put several hundred on MSU out in Vegas, plus the 3 1/2.
    I can't picture Notre Dame, though, losing three in a row to start the campaign. They will win this weekend.
    Put as many confidence points on them as you can muster.

12. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Keep this in mind: the Spartans have beaten the Irish in South Bend six of the last seven times they played one another. 2009 was the last loss, when Kirk Cousins threw a late pick which cost the game. Cousins is still around and don't think he has forgotten about that game one bit.

Notre Dame will either A) be emotionally motivated by losing the way they did to Michigan or B) be emotionally hurting after the outcome. I don't think nerves play a large role in general, but it will be interesting to see how the Irish come out to start the game.

Draft saved Draft deleted