1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA Football '07 VG

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EmbassyRow, Jul 18, 2006.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

So can you change the view on kick/punt returns? Or are you just stuck with it?

2. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I am enjoying the game so far.
    As always, the 1-AA teams were obviously thrown together at the last minute. I am pretty sure they make up the ratings numbers as well.
    I blocked a kick earlier today with a computer player. I was shocked. First time that has ever happened and I've been playing since probably 97 or 98.
    Campus legend mode is nice, just enough to make it in-depth without being overboard, IMHO.

3. Overrated

Overrated Guest

The drills might be my favorite part about Madden. Trying to build up a rookie or anyone else helps the season ahead. I'll stop buying Madden if they get rid of that feature. I could do without the concessions though.

4. Hustle

Hustle Guest

My biggest fear when this game was first announced was EA's emphasis on trick plays. I imagined the AI (and esp. online folks) wayyyy overusing the trick plays that are now at their disposal.

Has the AI tried anything tricky with you?

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

They've always done that with the I-AA rosters...haven't they?

I wish I could be good enough to block a kick with a computer player and not myself...Nah, I like sacking the punter in the end zone or blocking a kick on the 50 and taking it all the way back.

I really hope they got rid of that and the Tony Bruno radio shit. It's annoying to have to listen to that shit when you're on the main screen in a season.

6. ChrisLittmann

ChrisLittmann Member

I'm going to do what I always do: Wait two weeks and buy it on eBay from some person who is already sick of it for way less than it was priced to begin with.

The reviews aren't amazing, so until I can snag a copy for my 360 at around 30-40 bucks, I can hold out.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Random observations about NCAA 2007:

* The CPU run defense is far better than in recent years. Used to be a decent option game was instant win. It'll still do you well, but nowhere near as dominatingly so.

* I don't know if this holds true in the Dynasty/exhibition games, but the ones I've played in Legend mode have been ... weird. Okay, I design myself as a kick-ass defensive tackle and get a scholarship invite to Ohio State (good: you can't just walk on to your favorite team ... bad: too easy to get offers from literally everyone). I get there, second game is at No. 2 Texas and I kill them, 49-7, and the 7 was on a late bomb. In week 4 I go down 41-21 to Iowa in the fourth quarter, they start fumbling the ball and I rally to win 42-41. I go to Michigan State, fumble the ball away five fucking times in the first three quarters, MSU goes up 52-14 after three quarters, and this is going to be an epic blowout, except THEY start fumbling and throwing interceptions, and I somehow score 38 unanswered points in a six-minute fourth quarter to force the game into overtime, which of course I lose 59-52 thanks to fumble No. 6. Then Indiana comes to town and after chasing their starting quarterback from the game with four first-half picks, the backup kills me. I win 43-40 on a last-second FG, but I'm wondering wtf. That leads to the next observation, which is ...

* ... CPU passing is extremely hot or cold. The QB either throws six interceptions in seven series or goes 24-26 with 400 yards and six TDs.

* If you've played Superstar Mode in Madden 2006, you've seen Legend Mode. One trick to getting package attribute points out the butt during practice sessions -- move someone horribly offsides, like right next to the QB. They'll tell you you're offsides, but it doesn't matter, you'll get your 20 points for sacking him a quarter-second after the snap.

* The majors are cute and add a harmless dimension to the game (though I-AA School Nicknames is considered a "difficult" major? What is this, Virginia Tech?). Somehow I doubt many gamers are going to choose chemistry. Sady, I bet a bunch select ESPN.

* Graphics are largely unchanged from last year, at least to my bastard eye. Corso and Herbstreet are same as they ever were, though there's some new comments aft and fore.

* The kick return view can seriously eat my ass hole. It's not first-person, but it's almost as bad. I've returned a couple of kicks, but it's been sheer luck. Speaking of, good luck trying to do a return reverse because the dude to whom you'd be reversing never gets into position in time.

* Kick meter drives me nuts when I need to hook a kick. Missed a couple of gimmie FGs because I was on the hash and couldn't figure out how to push it to the left without overdoing it. I'll learn in time, I s'pse.

* I hereby give up on the five-years-and-counting dream of being able to move teams into different conferences.

THE VERDICT:Too early to get the chisel and slab of stone, but I've not been impressed thus far. Oh, it's still NCAA and still a quality game, but not worth the 50 bucks if you're still in possession of 2006. They just don't make enough changes to warrant the purchase. But I'm an NCAA acolyte; I'll buy every rendition of it. I suspect this is the last good version of it for the PS2/Xbox generation. Will I want it enough to get a 360? Will I be alive by then? Time will tell ...

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I have the 360 version. Graphically, it's amazing. But it lacks depth, which is very disappointing. I'm hoping the upcoming Madden has much more to offer.

9. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Same here. And yes, Madden will definitley have more to offer on the 360. Every thing on the current gen Madden will be on the next gen. And it was also mentioned on ign that Madden will actually have BETTER graphics then last year's version.

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

From what I understand, you probably won't get much depth out of an EA Sports game for the 360 until the 2008 series games. That's when they, and not the PS2/Xbox versions, will get the bulk of the attenion from the programmers. Though if what Chuck says is true, maybe this Madden is the first of the next-gen games to be treated right.

11. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

They tell you everything on ign.com. It's a very good website.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/705/705376p1.html

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/719/719748p1.html

http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/811/811804/vids_1.html

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Finally broke down and bought this ... The graphics haven't changed a whole lot, but there wasn't much more advanced that could be done with it, at least not for the PS2. I dig the momentum meter and I'm slowly warming to the kick meter. The first-person kick return is fun, I think. I know others hate it, but you do have the option of switching back to third person, so it's not a big deal.

I haven't run through the campus legend mode yet, but I'm sure I will at some point. Started a dynasty with Va. Tech and Towson (who replaces SMU in Conference USA). Almost beat Headbutt's Terps in the first game with Towson, so it's probably already time to up the level.

A couple of things in the gameplay have seemingly been tweaked. There seems to be some science to catching passes now. You can acutally get your receivers off the DBs, especially at the line of scrimmage. Passing used to be such a fling-it-and-hope thing in this game, but you can get receivers to jump for balls and get them to outwork defenders. A definite improvement. Running isn't as easy, but it's a bit more realistic, especially the work for extra yards.

VERDICT: So far, I think it's the best game in the series, which it should be. The IGN ratings are notoriously tough (except on darlings like GTA: San Andreas and Madden), and they've given this a 9.1, which is about right, I think. Not a perfect game, but well worth the cash.

Draft saved Draft deleted