1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA Final Four media honcho getting tough

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Mar 29, 2016.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

That settles that.

2. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I don't get why anyone is arguing in this guy's favor. I'm with the NCAA on this one, as I would be with any entity that makes such a rule about their credentials. Break the rule, you pay the price. End of story.

Most of you guys sound like a gaggle of titty babies, honking your beaks as you fly over.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
    Tarheel316 likes this.
  3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Most of what guys? Seems most here believe, as I do, that this is deserved and the reporter was being childish.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Maybe they read it and didn't understand what a "bearer" is. One of them complicated legal words they just don't use on social media, ya know.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

What the reporter did was dumb. A flak taking a victory lap on Twitter over scolding someone and taking their big, bad credential away may not be as dumb, but it's kinda toolish.

Big Circus and Alma like this.
  6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

The NCAA dude never mentioned a name. Its possible he just made the whole thing up to preempt the act.

BurnsWhenIPee and PaperClip529 like this.
  7. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

You have to be a "personality" on social media to build your brand. Or at least that's what others on here have told me...

8. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I took his Tweet as being more educational than anything else, advising people not to do it. Could easily have been fabricated.

If this did happen, the pass-holder who couldn't abide by the rules for being credentialed is the only one in the wrong, not the "media honcho"

Dog8Cats likes this.
  9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Which makes him look even dumber.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yeah, yeah. Dumb rule. Dumb price. We all know it. A little grace never hurts.

wicked likes this.
  11. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

What's dumber is an SID acting "tough" in his reply using his official Twitter account.

You have an assistant commissioner for the MAC being a kiss-ass.

Then you have lame photographers.

12. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

The Tweet from the honcho could've been worded differently but it makes sense to post some kind of reminder or addendum. These are relatively new rules, I believe. And they're probably in tiny print on the back and lets face it, who reads all that? I've had a few credentials lately that are blank on the back and there's a thing that says "subject to all rules available on Web site" ... Who's going to bother going there rather than assuming its the standard stuff?

Not that ignorance of the rule is a get out of jail free card, just that it makes sense for the NCAA to point this out.

And its not always narcissism that leads to posting these things. Six years ago I had a credential from an event that had my mug on it....for a while a photo of that cred was my Twitter avi....it had a professional looking picture of me and had sports, easy way to sum up what my account is for. I wouldn't do it now and I wouldn't do it if I knew the league frowned on it, but I didn't think anything of it at the time and I don't think it was egotistical or wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted