1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA does it again .. Hammers Jackson St. Grambling and Southern

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, May 25, 2011.

1. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Have you seen their athletic budgets? I'm not sure some of those schools could buy a vowel.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I know... That's why I'm disgusted that the NCAA goes after schools like this and does next to nothing to Auburn.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Seems like the SWAC has a different champion every year. No dynasties in that league. They've thrown a few scares into teams (Jackson State and Mississippi Valley State were in tight games at the half against Arizona and Florida, respectively, in recent years), but have never come close to sealing the deal.
    The SWAC has taken the football model of whoring a team out to a big-time power for a payday and applied it to basketball. Their non-conference schedules are chock full of road games against teams like Kansas and Michigan State. Not sure if this is true for every SWAC school, but you can probably count on two hands the number of non-conference home games Alcorn State's basketball team has played in the last five years.

There's also a bigger danger with this APR stuff. Although it doesn't mean much to the SWAC football teams, it's sort of the next step in an escalating punishment. If it continues long enough, the NCAA can shut down a program for it.

4. Mizzougrad96

Is that Greg Lee at age 5? :D

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Again, the NCAA is "going after" anybody in this case.

The APR review is not an infractions case. Either you meet the standards or you don't. And if you don't you're subject to specific penalties depending on how bad your score is or how long you've performed below whatever the set standard is.

Fact is, HBCU athletic departments are some of the most poorly run in the NCAA.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Cal State Northridge got dinged.
    http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_18133239

These lower tier schools need better students to take tests for the players.

7. Mizzougrad96

I think if you're a big, powerful school, there basically has to be tapes of Reggie Bush promising to pay money back to an agent for a school to get into trouble.

I have no problem with Jackson State and Grambling getting nailed, but why can't the NCAA actually do something with a big school that cheats?

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

It's apples and oranges to compare APR sanctions to NCAA recruiting violations.

If your APR sucks, you're penalized, no matter who you are. Washington State lost six football scholarships several years ago for a poor APR score. While not a "national power," it's a BCS-AQ school and certainly not a "little guy."

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

SWAC does have a (roundly ignored) championship game. A postseason ban means no shot at that game either.

10. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Is it actually considered a postseason game by the NCAA or is it an extra regular-season game, like with FBS conference title games? I know they're talking about resurrecting a SWAC vs. MEAC game which would definitely be considered a postseason game (in fact, it was the NCAA ruling that teams couldn't participate in two postseason games that killed the Heritage Bowl in 2000).

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Teams on probation have been excluded previously. Don't know if that is a SWAC or NCAA decision. I do know the conference is less organized than a grease fire.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Didn't Connecticut basketball lose a couple of scholarships?

Draft saved Draft deleted