1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA dealing a heavy blow to Rivals.com ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Matt Stephens, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If the NCAA was truly serious of recruiting issues, why don't they just ban recruiting altogether (even though fans would bitch and moan).

I mean, they're supposed to be treated like ordinary students, right? Give them their five campus visits. Allow coaches to meet with them a total of two times. Once in their office, and once in their home. That's it.

Let them send two letters, three text messages and a couple of phone calls. That's it.

Anything more is a violation. Three violations, and you're banned for life.

When I was looking at colleges, I took the campus tour, like everyone else. I talked to maybe one or two other students. That was it.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I get your point, but there's a lot of area to work in between what you propose and the wild, wild west. You can be serious but at the same time not austere about it.

3. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

By the same logic, if a newspaper had in-depth recruiting coverage, would coaches be allowed to have a daily subscription? There easily could be the same give-and-take of information with a daily newspaper beat writer as there would be with the local Scout or Rivals guy. ... #ohwaittheygetitallforfreeonline

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

That's a good question. The Roanoke Times does a good job covering recruiting, ranks the top prospects in Virginia, has a database, etc. Does that mean the paper can't be delivered to the Virginia Tech football offices? Can Frank Beamer read his own copy at his breakfast table or does he have to start stealing the neighbor's?

It sounds like most Rivals-type sites can continue with business as usual outside of coaches subscribing, that's what I get out of it anyway. That's good because a lot of good newspaper people have gone to these sites the past few years.

5. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Versatile. He can. School cannot pay for it.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Immaterial. Beamer can't read.

7. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

But do the programs need to embrace it, especially if it just creates a bunch of rabid fools calling for coaches' and ADs' heads every 2-3 years because the three top 100 recruits didn't win two titles in the two years they were there?

8. SeanKennedy

SeanKennedy Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, please, but I'm not sure that Rivals has ever been credentialed at Virginia Tech. May be the same issue at U.Va.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Rivals.com=bad.
    coaches who cheat=not as bad.

wow...

10. WTFünke

WTFünke Member

I'm surprised no one's brought this up yet ... but does anyone seriously think this will stop coaches from looking at these sites?

Do it under a different name (which I suspect most coaches already have the sense to do). Who's going to report them? How would anyone know? Is the NCAA going to ask to check each coach's web history?

It's the good ole NCAA policy of don't ask, don't tell. Coaches aren't going to give up an easy advantage ... well ... easily. This will change nothing.

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Well if the rule is schools can't subscribe then that should actually be pretty easy to document. But you are right in the sense that it won't change too much, it might actually end up helping the beat writers that work for Rivals, etc.

College coaches don't so much use Rivals to see where a player is ranked as much as they keep track of what other schools have offered scholarships and where kids are visiting. If coaches aren't allowed to read that info on the site then it becomes information the Rivals writers can trade in exchange for information from the coaches.

12. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

Virginia Tech is, to my knowledge, the only NCAA BCS conference school that does not credential Rivals.

Draft saved Draft deleted