1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA dealing a heavy blow to Rivals.com ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Matt Stephens, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/08/ncaa-bans-schools-from-subscribing-to-rivals-type-sites/

2. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

Shucky darn. Now if they could just find a way to ban fans from going there.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Rivals gets press passes and the same access other media get, right? I can't see how that would continue in light of this interpretation.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

There will be 365 secondary violations, coming right up.

I thought it was interesting in Pat Forde's recent column about Butler that Brad Stevens wouldn't small talk with him about recruiting.

Forde praised him for it, but I suspect at the time he was thinking, "Holy shit, what a stick in the mud."

5. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Depends on what each specific school's SID chooses. Our site has a great relationship with the CSU SID and I'd expect we'd be credentialed for football and basketball again next season, as a lot of our content is game day and practice related. The email we got today said nothing of credentials being yanked.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

So you're telling me that if an assistant men's basketball coach enjoys reading NFL Draft coverage on ESPN.com, he's now not allowed to have Insider because that gives him access to ESPN RISE information on potential recruits?

This doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I know at least one university where the Rivals site is run by the same company that also puts out a school-sponsored monthly sports magazine.

7. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

Why wouldn't it? They're not going to revoke ESPN's credentials for providing high school recruiting information behind a paywall.

This isn't preventing the material from being out there, which is a huge draw for fans. It's preventing the coaches from accessing it. Rivals, especially on the college level, still provides a ton of newsworthy information. I don't see colleges revoking their credentials, not when the sites provide so much exposure.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Someone better versed in NCAA esoterica than I might be able to shed light, but the linked article made it sound like Rivals is essentially being classified as a booster. And I don't know how a school can invite a booster into the locker room.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Can coaches still have personal accounts?

10. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

11. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

You read that wrong. The NCAA is classifying Rivals/Scout/ESPN Rise as a recruiting service similar to the programs. Broad programs are readily available and acceptable to the NCAA, but in the wake of specialized individual recruiters directing information and prospects to certain schools, the NCAA is cracking down. So since Rivals and Scout.com sponsors specific school sites, even though some of the information might be available across a wider platform, the NCAA is banning coaches from accessing the "specialized" recruiting information that might only be available to a select group instead of everyone.

Now, for some people and organizations that are only recruiting services, that's basically the end of their business. But since Rivals/Scout sites do much more - regularly cover games, break news (the Texas Rivals site was all over the machinations of the Big 12/Pac 10 and Texas' future), etc. along with their recruiting coverage - this won't harm their relationship with the schools they cover.

Just clarifies it a bit more.

If the Dallas Morning News were to start a paid recruiting site to go with its coverage of college sports around the Metroplex, the same scenario would apply.

12. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

Goes back to the Twitter argument - don't blame the tool, blame the user.

Draft saved Draft deleted