1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA credentialing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoCalDude, Mar 21, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Sounds like this is the one time being at a weekly pays off.

2. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

That's ridiculous but not surprising.
    I covered the ACC Tournament here in this same arena last year and the wireless was free.
    So it's not a case of the NCAA covering the cost of wireless. They're making money off the backs of writers and photgraphers.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Get a phone card and tell 'em to shove it.

4. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Wish I'd thought of that before I came down here. But I didn't know they were going to charge me, either.

5. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

you should have gone

get in the gym, you'll likely find yourself a seat

and if not, you could at least watch from the press work room and get your own interviews, since being a beat writer for GMU and knowing the SID and coaches and players you'd have more access than most and likely get all the 1-on-1's you needed

and your story would have been far better than AP and no different than it would have been if you had a seat

if they say they can't get you a seat but they can get you in, by all means take them up on it

6. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

To the best of my knowledge, the NCAA doesn't check the 90 percent rule. If you know the SID, and he/she approves your request, you're good to go.

As for photos, we ran into a similar situation in Indianapolis a few years ago when Iowa and Illinois were there. Photog had a spot for the Iowa game, since we were on the list, but didn't have one for the Illinois game. The person checking the location assignments let him in, but only after everyone was in their spots. He was kind of crammed into a corner, but he was still able to shoot.

7. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

I'm never going to complain about Ohio's state high school tournaments again ...

8. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Oh, and did I mention the photo room has a sign posted that says "Please REMOVE Wireless Cards"?
    Yeah. Seriously. The fucking balls these people have. Onions, I tell ya.

9. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

How in the hell did they expect to enforce that? Are they going to search you for your Sprint card?

10. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

that is a freaking all-timer

good lord

do they make you buy NCAA-logo pens and steno pads too?

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Loved covering the NCAAs when they came to my neck of the woods, but indeed the wireless racket and the water-cup nazis was very amateurish. Of course, this is amateur sports, of course ::)

12. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Yep, Cane's onto this one.

I'm at a regional and as a beat guy, I don't even bother sitting in on the pressers. I go to the locker room, and when the rest of the horde leaves the presser for the locker room, I pull aside the star players and/or coach as they're coming in, thus getting my own stuff.

Maybe I'm just lucky to have a good relationship with the team I cover, but I've seen other guys doing the same thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted