1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA crashing Ian Johnson's wedding(someone hold sportschick back)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chuck~Taylor, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

http://thewizardofodds.blogspot.com/2007/04/ncaa-crashing-johnsons-wedding.html

::)

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

This is retarded, as was the NCAA's insistence that he give up crocheting because he'd become a "star."

And I want his fiancee to go away. She's cute, but good God is she annoying.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Aren't most cheerleaders?

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

This is true . . . :D

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

She is cute, but Uma is not annoying. Of course, I didn't know her when she was a cheerleader, so she may have been quite annoying back in high school. Then again, it is possible, since her twin sister -- also a cheerleader in HS -- is more than annoying.

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

While this story seems sour on its face, I have no problem with what's going on.

The Boise State compliance office - not the NCAA office in Indy, apparently - is trying to make sure everyone knows the rules and that the rules are followed.

In no way should this couple receive special consideration just because he is the star player and she is the cheerleader and they got engaged on national TV. They should have to suffer through pay for their wedding just like every other young couple and their families. They should also not receive special gifts from boosters under the guise of a wedding.

I also see no problem in restricting coaches and staff to only give the same type of gift for all players who get married. It's not preventing them from giving a gift, just ensuring that the star player is treated like everyone else.

Is this wedding getting more compliance attention because of their celebrity? Sure. Have boosters used weddings to loophole NCAA regulations before? I'm sure.

7. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

Why can't she accept gifts? Is cheerleading under the umbrella of the NCAA too?

8. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Cheerleading can be, especially if they are on cheer scholarship. Not sure how that is set up at Boise State.

But more specifically, she can't accept gifts because she will be related to him. As that article said, you can't give the player $10K, but you can't give it to his wife or his best friend either, because the expectation is that person will give it to the player. Or that person will be "bought" in an attempt to influence a player's decision.

It's not that the NCAA is saying they can't have a wedding or accept gifts. They're just saying they have to have the same kind of wedding experience every other student does, i.e. paid for by their parents and not a bunch of football boosters.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I do so love regulation...

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Who did Maurice Clarett marry to get his gifts when he was at Ohio State?

Some fucking consitency would be nice. Now that Imus is gone, Myles "I'm STILL riding the momentum of firing Bobby Knight" Brand should be next.

11. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I love his fiancee's last name, though -- Popadics.

Uh huh huh huh huh.

12. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

This is total bullshit. As if the bride didn't have enough to worry about on her wedding day.

Let the kids have their fun.

Draft saved Draft deleted