1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA championship swimming

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MartinEnigmatica, Mar 20, 2007.

1. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

An unlikely topic, of course. But I just happened upon this on TV, and wondered why the hell diving factors into the team score. It's a rare talent to be able to leap in the air and contort one's body artfully. But art doesn't factor into any of the other competition's events. 19 of the 20 or so events are speed-based, and one is art - they just both happen to involve water. It just doesn't make sense. It would be like if, at the end of regulation in a tied hockey game, the teams elected one representative each to go out and decide victory Michelle Kwan-style.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That isn't just at the NCAA level. Diving is figured along with swimming in team high school scoring as well. Though every time I've seen it, the diving was the first event, not the last.

3. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I can see it now, Chris Chelios doing a .... is a triple toe loop a difficult figure skating move?

4. "I just swam my race and tried to get to the wall."
    Just type that in at the start of the competition and you're halfway home to covering it.

5. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Not sure where else to put this thought, so we'll try here — I've been thinking for a few days that the Bernie Mac swim coach movie might be the worst idea ever. I first saw it in a hotel, and I didn't have the sound on the TV, and I thought it was an SNL skit.

6. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

NEVER. EVER. Bring that movie up again. DUMB!

7. John

John Well-Known Member

Are you suggesting that diving be a completely sport, with a different national championship?

I like writing about swimmers -- I admire the hell out of their dedication -- but I loathe covering or writing about diving. In terms of meets, I don't know what else you could do with it besides put it with the swim teams.

EDIT: And I figured this thread would be about Auburn's David Marsh who has led the Auburn men to five consecutive national titles and the women to five of the last six.

8. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

I tend to agree with you, especially since diving is a "judged" sport, and swimming is not.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You know what you never see? You never see anyone heckle a diver.

[​IMG]

10. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

You know what you never seem to see anymore?
    Anyone besides Auburn winning a national title.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

[​IMG]

12. John

John Well-Known Member

Georgia women won three straight from 1999-2001, then the Auburn women won three in a row, then Georgia won the 2005 title. Last year Georgia led going into the final event before Auburn won and this year Arizona led going into the final day and Auburn won.

No, I didn't need to look any of that up. Of course, I used to cover the Georgia women and I wrote a article on Marsh the other day.

Draft saved Draft deleted