1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA can bite me

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Football_Bat, Mar 15, 2010.

1. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

I was told that first, it's not a rule, but a strongly encouraged guideline, and it's only applicable if there are women's games going on at the same time as men's games. Hence, because there were no women's games today, I watched plenty of the men's tournament from my perch in the press room.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Ha, that's funny.

Actually the NCAA folks in OKC treated me quite nicely. No Internet Nazi drama whatsoever. I guess Rob Carolla had bigger fish to fry for a change.

3. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Yesterday, the following flyer appeared on the walls (and in stacks in the media room) in Buffalo:
    "Please be advised that no unauthorized wireless access points, routers, or other RF (Radio Frequency) devices are permitted within the building. This equipment will cause interference with existing wireless networks that are vital to the operation of visiting media and staff. Failure to comply may result in loss of credential."
    Below was a number for the NCAA Communication Center.
    By the way, the wireless courtside was complete shit yesterday. No access at all. Had to pull out the CrackBerry and USB cord, and the guy next to me had his Verizon aircard going.
    Screw you, NCAA.
    So glad to be going home in an hour.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

They can pry my Verizon wireless air card out of my cold, dead hands.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Back to this ... in the press room in Louisville on a game day and the men's games is on one TV, the women's on another.

6. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

After all the crap I laid on the NCAA, had to add this: while traveling today, got an email that said the NCAA will be refunding wireless fees charged Friday because the service was so poor, and it will be free Saturday and Sunday.
    So they've got that going for them, which is nice.
    Good for stepping up and admitting the problem, NCAA, even though it should've been free all along.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

It's what any good business is supposed to do when their service sucks, but it's nice that they finally admitted it.

8. writingump

writingump Member

In Knoxville yesterday, I was watching the end of the St. Mary's-Villanova game while writing the Lady Vols-Austin Peay blowout. The women's tourney was on another TV in another part of the press room.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I laughed at that...

Draft saved Draft deleted