1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA can bite me

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Football_Bat, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Universities don't charge a cent during the regular season, nor do NBA teams. But in the NCAAs ... wham, pay up, newspapers.

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Free at every school on the planet.
    Free at the conference tournaments.
    $16.50 if the NCAA failed to send you an e-mail reminding you about the discount for pre-registering.
    Which they did.

3. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

$9.50 a day is cheap, word is they are charging photogs $350 for internet usage. Not sure how that works out for the same connection, but whatever

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Deep in the bowels of the arena and Verizon Wireless works just fine, thank you very much.

Did I remember to tell the NCAA to bite me?

5. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Yes, I just found this out the hard way. Tried using my Sprint CrackBerry to connect, and it did - but it was slooooooow.
    So I caved. $16.50 a day. Woo-hoo.

6. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Oh, and did I mention that for our $16.50 in NO the wireless knocks you off, on average, about every 17 minutes.
    And is too slow to support March Madness on Demand?
    Great stuff.

7. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

At least it's working there. Here in Buffalo, it's not working at all courtside.
    Fuck you, NCAA.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

It took three hours for them to get the wireless in Louisville at the women's tourney working. But we're up.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Interesting. The WaPost's Kathy Orton reports that per NCAA rules, they're not allowed to show men's games on TV at women's tournament sites. I'm at a women's site, and the games have been on TV in the press room all day.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Sexist pigs.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I have this image in my head of F-Bat and a dozen other writers together in a janitor's closet somewhere in a subbasement of the arena, huddled together around a couple of wireless cards like crack addicts in need of a fix. One guy mans the door and keeps an eye out for the NCAA fuzz while the rest of them send their stories and get a quick update on scores.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted