1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA can bite me

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Football_Bat, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

We were whining over $9.50, Mr. Exaggeration.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Temple was screwed, man. Screwed.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

And shame on them for expanding to 65 teams! It was so much better in 1940 when there were eight.

4. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I think the point is simply that offering dependable wifi service costs money. If someone chooses to offer it for free because they feel it helps them make money in some other way, that's their right. However, I also don't blame them for charging a nominal fee.

That said, I'd expect that the wifi you pay for ought to be fast and reliable. If you're paying and still getting the same crappy service a lot of free providers give you, then you have a right to bitch.

5. Don't forget BYU, ranked 14th in the country and they get a 7 seed.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The NCAA is going to have to have wifi service for its own needs. Not like it is ordering it for the scribes.

Often, you might work at an arena all year using the wifi there and suddenly at tournament time they want to charge you $9.50 or whatever a day.

That's what pisses people off.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

It's union Internet.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Bingo. Had used wifi at an NFL stadium many times for free, then I'm there for the NCAAs and have to pony up. Two organizations that I'm pretty confident can get by without writers' sawbucks, yet only one doesn't feel the need to penny-pinch.

9. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

I agree that you are chained to the arena when you're working. And any cheaper/free sources in-arena are shut down by the NCAA for the tournament.
    Example: I covered the ACC Tournament at the St. Pete Times Forum in 2007 - the wireless was free.
    I covered the NCAA Tournament there a year later - wireless was $16.50 a day.
    That's why I'm bringing my CrackBerry and USB cord with me when I shuffle off to my regional destination tomorrow.

10. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Yeah, exactly. I reckon either DMN and/or FWST is probably following UNT, and where do you get off implying that one of those writers is a career failure???? You can do a whole heckuva lot worse than be a DMN or FWST staffer.

grow a brain, pal!

11. clutchcargo

NCAA women's wireless for free??? You can hold out for better than that. Twist their arm and they'll pay you $25 a game to cover their tournament. lol

12. clutchcargo

Back when I was covering the NCAAs in 1980s, we got pony express for free and access to one telegraph in the arena for $150 a day. Fee was reduced to $125 if we knew Morse code and could send story ourselves.

Draft saved Draft deleted