1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA can bite me

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Football_Bat, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I guess the internet has to work harder in the big city ::)

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I just took a look at the media packet for the tournament games in Providence, and there's no mention of an internet fee.
    I hope I'm not in for some sort of a surprise Wednesday morning.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Bet you will be.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

All right you whiny bastards...if your paper can't afford $10 a day for wireless access, your paper shouldn't be spending the money to cover the tournament.

And, if you really want to know about expense, I'll take you back 30 or so years when we needed a telephone line in the arena to file stories on our 25-pound montrosities know as Telerams.
    The phone company charged $150 per line for the weekend if your paper wanted its own phone, rather than hope that one of the 3 NCAA provided lines might be available when you were filing on deadline. ... plus toll charges if you made a call to anything other than an 800 number, even a local call. And this was in the late 70s-early 80s.

Oh, and if you covered baseball playoffs and world series...$150 each phone line in each city you went to.

Funny how we bitch about newspapers "giving away" our precious content but expect everyone else to give us their services for free.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Big difference in 1970 and 1980, Starbucks, McDonalds, Buffalo Wild Wings, local municipalities, libraries, and arenas weren't letting people use phones for free. Everyone is letting people use wifi for free now.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you are covering an NCAA Tournament, you're probably chained to the arena for most of the day. You aren't strolling around downtown drinking lattes and checking your watch for the time the strip club opens.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It's a media service, and one that's about darned near as ubiquitous as the box score on a sheet of paper. But we're not asked to drop a dime in a cup to get that.

I'm confident all the papers here can afford it, but that doesn't make it any less of an extortion for the NCAA to charge it. And if they say they're just passing on the charges from the provider...yeah, they can bite it.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Fixed.

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Hmmm. Unmitigated gall. The NCAA puts schools on probation because some non-athlete bought a student-athlete a slice of pizza, then has the audacity to charge $16 a day for internet.

10. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Touchdown.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes. Little known fact. The NCAA basically breaks even on TV revenue, sponsorships, etc., and requires the wireless fees to make ends meet and to keep from laying off NCAA employees.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Sorry, people, just quit whining over $10 and every little thing about the evil NCAA and it's terribly run, terribly seeded [/crossthreading] tournament.

Draft saved Draft deleted