1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA bracket on the front?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Mar 16, 2008.

1. NatureBoy

NatureBoy Member

To make it big enough to be useable, it might become too big to run as dominant art on the front. I like the Good Doctor's idea. Even a one-page bracket with a front page refer would work.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I listed all the tourney teams on the front, with jerseys of the No. 1 seeds (with the jersey number as "1") topping each region.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

Anyone use helmets?

4. -Scoop-

-Scoop- Member

We're putting the main NCAA tourney story on the front, and on the jump page on the back (color page), we're running the bracket, along with another NCAA story.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Half page here, section back.

6. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Not sure that it belongs on the front. Hell, I don't think our paper isn't even doing anything fancy for this one. It's probably going to go on Page 7, right where it belongs, tucked in the "Where the local team is headed" story.

A full jacket - or even better, a special tab - would be nice to see, especially if it's done right. But those are such a rarety these days, anything but deep inside would be unnecessary.

7. Petrie

Petrie Guest

Good looking out...putting on agate page right now :)

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I did it once on a long-ago Monday when there literally wasn't any space anywhere else in the section to put it. I stared and stared at the thing for a long time, finally said yo my desk guy, "what the hell."

It worked OK.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

At least a half page - inside. Put story of local school(s) up front with photo and NCAA refer. If no local school in the tourney, then an overview and jump inside to the page(s) with brackets.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Rack 'im. ;)

BTW, why does it have to be on the front page to be in color? heh-heh.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It's probably different now, in the Internet age, when you can print out a decent bracket no problem. But I'd bet that back in the day the papers that ran the half-page bracket outsold those that ran the quarter-page bracket 2-to-1 today.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Whatever size fits best on the most copy machines is the best size to run it.

Draft saved Draft deleted