1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA bracket on the front?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

If the local interest is strong enough, should a newspaper put the NCCA bracket on the front of Monday's section? Or is that a waste of space?

2. waste of space

They'll find it inside

3. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Agreed.

Having the bracket in color really doesn't matter, especially since it'll be covered in red by the end of the tournament anyway.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

I've used it on the front before as the main art, with a secondary photo of the local college team. For something different, it worked out fine.

6. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Design-wise, it's iffy.

But it's what everyone will be looking for tomorrow.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I wouldn't think it'd need to be on the front of a section, even a special section geared toward the NCAA Tournament.

If it's going to be marked up anyway, why waste the money cost to print it in color?

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

We're putting it inside on a doubletruck. We sell ads for it every year.

I'm doing an illustration out front.

9. That's what I was going to suggest.

edit to add: People want to print those puppies out - and be able to read them.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Years ago, we did a doubletruck of the bracket. We got complaints, because it was too big for people to put in the office copier to make brackets for the pools.

11. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

also done this in the past. Only suggestion -- put it on the outside of the page, makes it easier for the yokels to cut out and put on the copy machine. I wish I were joking.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

At a previous stop, the bracket ran as a wrap around the entire paper.

Draft saved Draft deleted