1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA 'Big 5' conference autonomy vote passes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Let them get their cut, too. I'd sense, though, that their value wouldn't be too might. Although, if they had the rights to their names and likeness and were good-looking enough, they'd be able to put out some calendars and make more than a few bucks.

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

If I'm the AD at, say, Troy, I say to Alabama, "Sorry, one or two million isn't going to cut it any more. Five sounds like a nice number."

If these people get the same response over and over again, maybe they'll rethink some of this idiocy.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Troy says no to 2 mil? School like New Mexico State or Southern Miss would say yes in a heartbeat.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

New Mexico State and Southern Miss and all the others need to have the same response: Why in the hell do we need to help the Alabamas and Ohio States get richer so they can continue to screw us anytime they want?

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

In future news, New Mexico State dropped men's golf, baseball and men's tennis today, citing that it could no longer afford to pay for athletic scholarships, travel and equipment.

6. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Bingo. $2 million keeps their athletic department afloat

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Wow, NMSI had a pretty competitive baseball team and has its own golf course. Not being able to get into the MWC has really hurt the Aggies, who just have far fewer financial resources than UNM and just so isolated down there in Cruces. I don't think UNM has ever been an advocate for them getting into the MWC, either.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Whoops, read it too fast. But everything I wrote still applies. Not getting into MWC is killing the Aggies.

11. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I did the same thing, Micropolitan Guy. I went to the NMSU website and the Las Cruces newspaper site, then I re-read the post.

However, on the NMSU site there's not a link for athletics on the front page like there is for pretty much every other college in the country. You have to first click on "other links," or something like that, and then a drop-down menu will give you athletics as an option. Makes me wonder how committed NMSU is to athletics.

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

But these people will not get the same response over and over again. There are three certainties in life, death , taxes and that someone, somewhere will take the money. If not Troy then some other school will.

Draft saved Draft deleted